Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laguna 18|BX Bandsaw Huge Wait - Other Recommendations?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Shipping can also be problematic too. If you find something you want and know it needs to be truck shipped ask for a list of companies they ship with. Then ask which ones they have the best luck with.
    Or if it something you need faster check on Amazon. A Powermatic 60HH for example takes about 10 days and is, of course, delivered free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The web site I found doesn't mention the brand or even bandsaws. Perhaps there's more than one woodworking tool vendor with that name out there.
    That sounds like the right website.
    The tour video is more helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RojtfmF3qHE

Matt

Hello Dave,

I am in the process of upgrading my entire line of woodworking machines and started with a recent purchased of the Harvey G700 dust collector. I have been drawn to some of the other equipment on the Harvey website but in-depth reviews/comparisons on their equipment are limited. Since you recently purchased a band saw from Harvey, I would really like to hear your thoughts on why you decided to chose Harvey, which model bandsaw you purchased, and how the bandsaw is performing for you.

Thanks,

Mike

I went with the Grizzly G0636X and have no regrets - it is every bit the saw its often made out to be, on par with Italian - was between this an a Minimax MM16, and glad I saved 1k+ going with the Grizzly.
    Current Shop: SCM Nova SI 400, Hammer A3 31, Grizzly G0636x, Woodmaster 3875, Ritter R113, Castle TSM-12, Jet OES-80CS, Jessem Mast-R-Lift II/PC7518, American Rotary AD25-STK DIY, Festool: RO125-FEQ/ETS125/DF700/TS75, Bosch: ROS65VC-6

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris Ohio View Post
    Hello Dave,

I am in the process of upgrading my entire line of woodworking machines and started with a recent purchased of the Harvey G700 dust collector. I have been drawn to some of the other equipment on the Harvey website but in-depth reviews/comparisons on their equipment are limited. Since you recently purchased a band saw from Harvey, I would really like to hear your thoughts on why you decided to chose Harvey, which model bandsaw you purchased, and how the bandsaw is performing for you.

Thanks,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

I have the HW615. I had initially decided to to with Laguna's 14bx or 18bx, and had preemptively assumed I'd want to replace the ceramic guides with the Carter guides. There are just a lot of folks that don't like them. In any event, I got on the wait list for the 14bx, at which time the delays started happening. Granted it's not an easy time (this was just this last summer) to commit to deliveries, but between Laguna changing the date over and over, then Rockler being absolutely non-communicative, I just gave up on it. Harvey, which probably makes the Laguna saws (not sure, but they are quite similar) was able to get me the saw one week after I ordered it. Harvey has pretty significant sales, you may know. Harvey answered all my questions quickly, and while I was (and still am) concerned about the few numbers of tools they sell in the US, I decided to take the leap. I happened to get lucky and it was on sale when I decided to make the switch - that was kind of bit in encouraging my leap

The saw is great, I had minor tuning to to get the blade perfectly square to the table, but that's it. The table is flat, everything was ready to go. I did dull the factory blade pretty quick resawing some oak logs, so I've now got a Lennox Trimaster carbide blade, which is working fine but not too much use on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    Hi Mike,

I have the HW615. I had initially decided to to with Laguna's 14bx or 18bx, and had preemptively assumed I'd want to replace the ceramic guides with the Carter guides. There are just a lot of folks that don't like them. In any event, I got on the wait list for the 14bx, at which time the delays started happening. Granted it's not an easy time (this was just this last summer) to commit to deliveries, but between Laguna changing the date over and over, then Rockler being absolutely non-communicative, I just gave up on it. Harvey, which probably makes the Laguna saws (not sure, but they are quite similar) was able to get me the saw one week after I ordered it. Harvey has pretty significant sales, you may know. Harvey answered all my questions quickly, and while I was (and still am) concerned about the few numbers of tools they sell in the US, I decided to take the leap. I happened to get lucky and it was on sale when I decided to make the switch - that was kind of bit in encouraging my leap

The saw is great, I had minor tuning to to get the blade perfectly square to the table, but that's it. The table is flat, everything was ready to go. I did dull the factory blade pretty quick resawing some oak logs, so I've now got a Lennox Trimaster carbide blade, which is working fine but not too much use on it yet.

Hello Dave,

I really appreciate the quick response, the information on your saw, and the tip on the blade. I am also looking at the HW615 and will be pulling the trigger today since it is on sale for the holidays "maybe they are always on sale". Anyhow, after I posted this message to you yesterday, I also found a video by Stumpy Nubs (gotta love the name) where has was highlighting "two" Harvey band saws in his shop. I have been watching his videos for some time now and I respect his choices, so I now have two confirmations! Like you, I am also pleased with Harvey Customer Service and while they could not provide me with a 3D file for my G700 to add to my SketchUp shop plan, they have been super responsive and they answer all my emails in hours...not days. I always try to buy the best equipment I can afford at the time of purchase (my Craftsman 12" bandsaw is close to 30 years old) so hopefully, this Harvey will be my last bandsaw purchase! Who knows, maybe you and I will start a new trend!

Be well and thanks again,

Mike