Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna 18|BX Bandsaw Huge Wait - Other Recommendations?

Laguna 18|BX Bandsaw Huge Wait - Other Recommendations?

Hi All,

I just got an e-mail from Rockler that the 3hp Laguna 18|BX I ordered in early November that had an estimated ship date of Nov. 19 is now backordered until...wait for it...MAY, 2021. I totally get it, but I can't wait that long for a new saw if I don't have to. I mainly need it for resawing as I have a small Jet 14" saw that I will be keeping for smaller/finer tasks. The 4hp Rikon 10-347 looks compelling to me, but it's a bit more money than I was hoping to spend and I have no idea if that machine is actually available either. Any other suggestions for something comparable that I can get ahold of soon? Suggestions for retailers also appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

--Jim.

Given the state of affairs I think you’re just going to have to do a lot of legwork to see what’s available.

Grizzly seems to have inventory.

If you can wait. Soon after the virus magically disappears the used market should be filled with bandsaw and broken dreams.
    The area I live in has seen the used market do well. But it’s going to turn around it always does.
    My wife and I have been waiting for a dishwasher for months.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-18-2020 at 8:31 PM.
    Aj

Look at the Grizzly G0636X. 17", 5 HP motor, 16" of resaw capacity. Easily tensions a 1" blade to 25Ksi. I've had one for 3 years now and it's a joy to use every time. I use it exclusively for resawing and cutting veneer.

Grizzly's website says it's in stock. When I bought mine I had it in my shop 3 days after I placed my order.

John

Check out Harvey Tools; I got mine about a week from order.

Thanks for the suggestions! I called around and it looks like the Grizzly and Rikon are available. One interesting thing on the G0636X -- the Grizzly website shows that it has "5.0 stars", but of the four reviews shown, one is a scathing one-star review (more on the company than the saw, but still). Not sure how that adds up...

Decisions, decisions.

That Grizzly looks like a beast of a saw. I'm not sure why anyone would accept a damaged crate and then complain about it. The crate on my Grizzly 19" BS was nothing special but a thin sheet of plywood is not more of a match for a forklift than wooden slats and plastic. In fact the clear plastic makes it easier to see it it's damaged. I will say this, I love my BS. I don't think they sell it (19" with cast iron trunions and foot brake). When I got it the urethane tires were junk and it vibrated like crazy. I replaced them with some from a different company and now I can easily balance a nickle on edge, start it up, and then shut it down. I've cut stuff from large blacks for turning on the lathe to resawing 10" hard maple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feck View Post
    Hi All,

I just got an e-mail from Rockler that the 3hp Laguna 18|BX I ordered in early November that had an estimated ship date of Nov. 19 is now backordered until...wait for it...MAY, 2021. I totally get it, but I can't wait that long for a new saw if I don't have to. I mainly need it for resawing as I have a small Jet 14" saw that I will be keeping for smaller/finer tasks. The 4hp Rikon 10-347 looks compelling to me, but it's a bit more money than I was hoping to spend and I have no idea if that machine is actually available either. Any other suggestions for something comparable that I can get ahold of soon? Suggestions for retailers also appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

--Jim.
    Woodcraft claims a ship date of late January. (I had to wait 4 months for mine, way back when.) You could also try to find a local distributor, which methinks is preferable because they would support it.

There is a Minimax MM20 in the SMC classifieds right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Woodcraft claims a ship date of late January. (I had to wait 4 months for mine, way back when.) You could also try to find a local distributor, which methinks is preferable because they would support it.
    How is that gonna work ? Maybe your store is different , but mine has no Laguna inventory or service personnel. Going to have to call Laguna if I need a part, and install it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    How is that gonna work ? Maybe your store is different , but mine has no Laguna inventory or service personnel. Going to have to call Laguna if I need a part, and install it myself.
    Other vendors sell Laguna products besides Woodcraft and Rockler.

It’s going to be interesting to see the static here when the holiday 10% deals are on and the supply chain has a long backlog. Now is when the best deals surface. I picked up my 14bx last year at this time. They fortunately had one in stock but had I called an hour later, I’d have waited a good long while for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Other vendors sell Laguna products besides Woodcraft and Rockler.
    Sure they do.

How many stock them or carry parts ?

LT is still pretty much a deal directly with operation. They recently built a huge network of order takers, but few if any are knowledgeable “dealers” offering any real kind of “support”.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    It’s going to be interesting to see the static here when the holiday 10% deals are on and the supply chain has a long backlog. Now is when the best deals surface. I picked up my 14bx last year at this time. They fortunately had one in stock but had I called an hour later, I’d have waited a good long while for one.
    Yep, I talked to a guy at BIS yesterday who said that (a) their Black Friday sale on Laguna starts Monday and (b) they were told by Laguna that they will not have any stock until April at the earliest. He also said that Laguna is not planning any discounts at all next year because they expect to be so far behind in production. I read into it that April is an optimistic estimate for delivery. It's hearsay so take it with a grain of salt, but the guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

I think you'll find that most places that sell them just have them direct ship from Laguna.