Thread: Moving?

Blog Entries

Moving?

Interesting article about moving from San Francisco to Belvedere, California circa 1962 > https://www.sfchronicle.com/oursf/ar...-15690041.php?

Moving House.jpg

Seeing things like this was more common 60 years ago.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The house structure of the home I lived in starting at second grade on was physically moved a couple of miles onto the foundation of a home that had burned. Moving the house saved it from destruction when a dry dam was put in for flood control. It was interesting how the old foundation "worked", but certainly wasn't exact. This was out in the countryside in NE PA, not in an urban area like shown in the photo, but still a pretty great operation.

My previous neighbor grew up in a local home that originally was on the spot where a Wawa convenience store now lives...that house is about a half mile down the road toward my own home and pretty darn nice with various renovations over the years.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-18-2020 at 8:15 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, it's been 5+ decades since I've seen a house moved.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I remeber driving to college Saturday morning slowing down on a straight level stretch surrounded by orchards. Idiot behind me whips around and slams on his brakes in 200 feet. He had not noticed the house coming the other way about 500 feet in front of me. I saw it and could no figure out what I was seeing so I had slowed down. I only figured it out as he passed me.
    I learned that if another driver slows down you should figure out why not just pass him. Maybe he saw something wrong ahead of him that his car blocked from your view. One time I was traveling on a divided highway with a grass median. I saw a hubcap rolling across the median at a angle that would hit my front end at about 60 MPH +60 MPH. So I slowed down just enough that it would pass in front of me. If I had slowed into the slow lane I would have hit it.
    So the idiot on my tail passed me on the right, glared at me, and then hit it head on. I think he may have lost a tire because he did not think why a car going 60 MPH had tapped its brakes on a straight road with no traffic nearby and no exits nearby either. I had pumped my brakes as a warning so he would not be surprised.
    First time I took out my new to me Ford Ranger I went to the bank and was parking in a diagonal slot in the parking lot near the ATM. I line dup and waited a few seconds to move forward. Guy next to me was impatient and gunned it to park next to me as his nose cleared mine he saw the shopping cart blowing in the wind past my nose into the side of his car. Once the cart was clear I pulled forward and parked. It was moving at. walking speed so it did not leave a dent just a paint mark on his fender.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-18-2020 at 11:25 PM.

They just moved a big school building in Asia somewhere (sorry, forgot the country from the news article). They had these very cool big “feet” that would walk. Really neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    They just moved a big school building in Asia somewhere (sorry, forgot the country from the news article). They had these very cool big “feet” that would walk. Really neat.
    Weird, I had just thought of that and was going to post, but you already beat me to it. It was in Shanghai China. There was a nice article about it I saw on CNN.com not long ago. That was really complicated because it was an L-shaped building. They decided to move it because it was a historical building.

Edit...found the article;

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/sh...cli/index.html
    --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwu4...ature=emb_logo
    Cool. This shows more detail.
    I was reading Brians theft thread before this. Now I'm worried about building theft
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

There used to be a tv show featuring homes and other structures being moved that was pretty interesting. I guess it was on one of the DIY channels but not sure. Lots of challenges. The one that really stuck with me was moving a huge house down and through the immense hills of Seattle and on to a barge for transport to an island.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

A bit more on-topic than usual: Sam Maloof's home was moved in 2000 to get it out of the path of the 210 freeway then under construction
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Saw a documentary abut a telephone building being moved while it was still in operation.

We have a home in town that leans about 4-5 " off vertical in 2 stories. It was moved in the very early 1800's by several teams of horses. They say the lean is because they had to jerk it into position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

My previous neighbor grew up in a local home that originally was on the spot where a Wawa convenience store now lives...
    Between Wawa and Steak 'n Shake my arteries went from
    the Monongahela to Pumpkin Run.

All the food "uppa heya" requires a hammer...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Between Wawa and Steak 'n Shake my arteries went from
    the Monongahela to Pumpkin Run.

All the food "uppa heya" requires a hammer...
    Yea, but lobsta....
    --

There used to be a company that bought or got for free houses around Sacramento and hauled them in and out on barges. They took them in on spec and had a showroom.
    Bill D