Thread: Blum Inserta hinges

Blum Inserta hinges

So, I wasn't paying attention and ordered the "toolless" Inserta hinges rather than regular screw-in hinges. I'm not even sure this is at all a good idea, but reading the Blum site they recommend using an "insertion tool" to insert the "toolless" hinges, for which they want ~$95. They specifically warn against using a hammer. I'm not doing that for four hinges, especially when I don't trust them to stay put anyway.

So, do these things actually work when correctly inserted (into hardwood)? Can I correctly insert them using a U-shaped block of wood (mimicking the $95 tool) to tap both sides in evenly? Or should I follow my instincts and just pitch them and get the ones that use screws?

Thanks!

Roger they work just fine. I made my own insertion tool, just welded a flat piece of steel on the end of a 3/4 black pipe piece that was maybe 8'' long. I made the part that fits in the cup from wood first and replaced it with UHMW plastic after the wood broke. Just needs to have even pressure on it when they are tapped in.

Thanks Mike!

Blog Entries
    Inserta or press in? I didn't realize there was a tool for insertas.

Build yourself an insertion tool, and press them in using drill press, or you can unscrew the bushings and use regular screws. I've done both when using Hettich, as my supplier only carried the knock ins.

i'm confused by this. inserta hinges, referred to blum as "toolless," don't require a tool - there is a "flap" that you press down that cams out the holding pins, locking the hinge in place. the "press-in expanding dowel" version requires a tool. inserta:

https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/cate.../sku-71B359180

maybe i have my terminology wrong?

David ,this is probably my fault.. I knew what the OP was talking about as I use both styles. Blum has so many styles and options that I have to look at the hinge to figure out if it is the one I want.

With the "press in" hinges you can unscrew the 8mm plastic dowels from the hinge, hammer those in individually, and then screw the hinge back onto them. With 4 hinges, less than 5 minutes work and no chance of damaging the hinge.