Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Mouse Trap?

Blog Entries
    I found an unfortunate, desiccated mouse lying across the line terminals of an 800A, 480V circuit breaker once. No idea how long he'd been there.

One outlet box in my house was buried below an added on masonite paneling job. The box was at an angle so the mud ring would not work, too high on one end. So i took a plastic box and used the bandsaw to make a mud ring with the correct angle. I just drilled the screw holes for clearance and used extra long screws to mount the switch.
    It was easy to mark I just set it inside out on the old box and used a sharpie to mark how deep it should be.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Our best mouse trap in the barn is an empty, tall kitchen trash can, with a little smelly stuff in the bottom, placed against something that they can get on. They go in, but don't can't get out.
    I can say with experience this is true, even when unplanned...'found a couple of them last winter in the plastic can I use at the back of my slider for "trash" off-cuts. It was kinda like that saying "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"...they succumbed to a lonely end in what clearly was a cheap hotel without room service.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    A small mouse found a similar end in my shop. There was a cord that wasn't plugged all the way into a receptacle, and it contacted both the hot plug prong, and the neutral one. I didn't take a picture.

Our best mouse trap in the barn is an empty, tall kitchen trash can, with a little smelly stuff in the bottom, placed against something that they can get on. They go in, but don't can't get out.
    Like the "Hotel California where you check in and check out anytime you want but you can never leave"?

Years ago when I had a corn burning stove and a gravity wagon of corn in the shed, I used a storage tote to run shelled corn into for filling buckets. When the corn level was a foot or so down in the tote I'd find mice who got in and couldn't get out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Like the "Hotel California where you check in and check out anytime you want but you can never leave"?

Years ago when I had a corn burning stove and a gravity wagon of corn in the shed, I used a storage tote to run shelled corn into for filling buckets. When the corn level was a foot or so down in the tote I'd find mice who got in and couldn't get out.
    I bet they were well fed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My bandsaw sits unplugged when the blade tension is released. Imagine my surprise when going to set up the bandsaw yesterday and seeing this:

Attachment 445241

This is the third time a mouse has been found this way. For some reason they crawl in and on their way out their foot is on the hot side connection as they squeeze past the mounting hardware which is internally connected to ground.

When removing the an insulated glove is worn and a pair of pliers with insulated handles is used to remove them.

jtk
    Third time Jim and you still don't have a cover on that receptacle?

That's a fire hazard I wouldn't risk in a wood working shop...........Rod.

Maybe a shot of fireblock foam.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Maybe a shot of fireblock foam.
    Bill
    You're really not suppose to put stuff in an outlet box other than the wires and the outlet. The simple solution here is a cover which can be modified to fit by cutting off the edge on the "stud" side based on the photo provided by the OP.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...