Thread: Drill Press Mortiser Question

Drill Press Mortiser Question

Do the mortiser attachments for drill presses perform well?

My experience is a definite no. I have a set that I used when I had no other options, but it just sits there in the way because I don't know what to do with it. Don't get me wrong. They do work, but the results are not always the highest quality and they do require a lot of setup and care when in use to make sure the mortices turn out as desired.

I have read reviews and heard recommendations from professional woodworkers that a stand alone mortising machine is a much better investment and the results are much better, but I have never owned one. I am referring to the type that sit on a bench or a stand made for the tool with a handle that moves up and down like a drill press (not the horizontal power machines). The selection of these machines requires some research before buying though. Some are excellent and some are no better than using the drill press attachment. So research, research, research. I'm not an expert on these. Just some general suggestions.

I now own a Domino and find the versatility, accuracy, and ease of use a much better option than cutting traditional mortise and tenon joints. I feel the substantial investment was worth it even though I do not build for a living; just for satisfaction, versatility, and quality of the joints.

So, in the end, if you have access to a drill press set, try it. I think you won't like it. Otherwise do some careful assessment of the options before buying.

I have one, if you'd like it I'd be happy to get rid of it.

I don't remember how I got it, but I didn't purchase it. It's more painful to setup than a bench top machine is, and it doesn't work nearly as well. Do they work? Absolutely.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

From what I've read, since I've never used one, is that if anything flexes you'll be disappointed with the results. Things like adding a brace under the table to the floor can help. But if your DP is not robust you'll most likely struggle with it. I would take up the offer for free and see if it works for you.

They are best for very occasional use for a number of reasons, but because they are a pain to install and take off, that makes occasional use a pain, too.

There's a good discussion here this past week about hollow chisel mortisers in general that you may want to explore.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No. Unless you only work in very soft woods. You don't get the mechanical advantage of dedicated bench mortising machines that have long handles and heaving gear works to apply the forces needed.

used one in the early days when I was young and broke. It got the job done. As money became available moved on to a plunge router for mortises. Then got a bench top mortiser, would like to have a heavy floor model however no room. Tried hand cutting mortises, not for me.

Only you can decide where the balance point is between money, time, aggravation, speed and ease of work lies

Simple answer - no. You are better off with a benchtop mortiser, but honestly those aren’t great either.

I used one for cabinet face frames quite a number of times before I ever bought a dedicated mortising machine. I only set it up one time a year for that though.

I drug it back out to make the mortises in these Redwood reproduction early 19th Century basement windows, only because I had all the mortising machines set up for a different use, and didn't want to bother to change them.

The drill press ones aren't That bad to set up....once you've done it a dozen times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought and used a Delta one recently to build a large dog bed/cage out of white oak. I used it to make the joints in the legs. It worked okay. I'm not sure I would use it again. I used drill bits and chisels in the same project to make square holes for the cage bars. It was slower, but I in enjoyed more.

Setup was a pain, but after that it was okay. I have a large drill press and was able to keep things very stable.

they work, set up is part of the craft. If you make a living at this you use what you have get the job done then buy better when you can.

Blog Entries
    Certainly not as good as a dedicated mortiser. BUT, I have the Delta version and used it on my 1/2" Craftsman drill press. Pushed a 5/8" chisel through both oak and hickory. definitely not soft woods. I had to adapt the bushing to fit my DP. If you have a heavier Delta DP you are good to go.
    NOW you tell me...