Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big book of woodworking?

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and PDFs. I ordered a copy of the encyclopedia and in the mean time have the free PDFs to read.

I got the Bill Hylton book too, and also found it really useful. Especially the first part of the book that shows multiple options for each type of joint.

Blog Entries
    I have "THE WOODWORKER: The Charles Haywood Years II" pages 464 thru 888.

Check this site.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22T...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 11-19-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I reference this book a lot. I have 2 hard copies but the link below is for a PDF which is free through Google. It was written in the early 1900's.

https://books.google.com/books/about...kp_read_button

Otherwise check out lost art press. They have copies of Joseph Moxon's The Art of Joinery, as well as many other good reads, and they are high quality books and very fairly priced.

I dont think there is a be all, end all book for woodworking.
    Thanks Jason!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    An interesting and fun book is George Ellis' Modern Practical Joinery. But understand that "modern" is based on 1902.
    I second this! Advising a book is a really tricky thing, no one knows whether a book that "clicked" for me would do it for anyone else. But this one had most everything I wanted to know after getting past basics of cutting, sawing and chopping straight to a line - pretty much the only book that goes beyond simple rules of thumbs and explains not just "what", but also "why" and "how" in very specific details. A good example is a part on sizing a mortise with actula numbers and calculations.

I seem to recall Roy Underhill having at least 6 "Workbooks", all geared towards the handtool crowd...