Thread: Power lift recliner battery backup

Power lift recliner battery backup

My mom has a power lift recliner.Yesterday the power went out and she was unable to get out of the chair that was reclined all the way back. By luck I was home to get her out.
    The recliner does have a battery backup but it is only two 9 volt batteries. The problem is it is only good for one time use. Put new batteries in,if you test it, then they need to be replaced. Also if she uses it with the battery backup and gets up. its possible to forget and lean back in it then goes dead.

Looking for a better option I found this on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GLNP1NL...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I understand it is made to use a recliner without a power outlet but is it possible to have one and keep it plugged in all the time and only use it as a much bigger, better battery backup? reading a review it seems to be possible. Looking for someone with first hand experience.

For the record this is the power supply it has now (with backup)
    https://www.amazon.com/Power-Recline...5570481&sr=8-6

Any other ideas?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Hi Dave. That looks exactly like the unit that is hooked up to my couch which has recliners at both ends. The unit has a great life span. We’ve had the couch for 5 years or so now and I can tell you that, at least, a half dozen times our Roomba vacuum has unplugged the power. I’m guessing it works a dozen times or more. Usually we don’t even notice until the recliners start to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Trebuna View Post
    Hi Dave. That looks exactly like the unit that is hooked up to my couch which has recliners at both ends. The unit has a great life span. We’ve had the couch for 5 years or so now and I can tell you that, at least, a half dozen times our Roomba vacuum has unplugged the power. I’m guessing it works a dozen times or more. Usually we don’t even notice until the recliners start to slow down.

Do I understand correct you leave the new power supply plugged in all the time? Kinda afraid of cooking the batteries.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Another option would just be to buy a small UPS (uninterruptible power supply) like you might use with a computer and plug your current supply into it.

If you scroll down to the customer questions for your first link, the first question is: can it be plugged in all the time, and the answer is yes....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I would go with an UPS for computers something like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-SL...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Good luck
    Ron

I would at an old UPS computer power supply. Cheap used, probably find one for free, just replace the battery and it should work.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Do I understand correct you leave the new power supply plugged in all the time? Kinda afraid of cooking the batteries.
    I believe the power supply must always be kept plugged into outlet. It shouldn't cook the batteries.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

It is plugged into the wall all the time, although it does have a cord that plugs into the battery pack from the wall. As I mentioned it is several years old, but still has plenty of juice to confuse us on how long the cord has been unplugged for, when we finally do run out of gas.

Ran in to this today, at a friend's house. She will be 103 in January. Went to change out a breaker, and care taker comes running out of the house screaming "Turn it back on, she is trying to get out of her chair."