Thread: Rockler 12" Quick-Release End Vise Installation

Rockler 12" Quick-Release End Vise Installation

So the workbench top is arriving today, and now I'm working on installing the Rockler End Vise.

Starting off, the instructions say that the wooden jaws that you make for the vise need to be 1/4" above the benchtop.

Why would you want the jaws to be above the benchtop. I've never seen that on a benchtop.

What am I missing here?

Also, the 8 holes to install the vise would prevent expansion/contraction and possible cause cracking on the benchtop. How do you prevent that?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

From the manual,

"Once the vise is assembled, the top surfaces can be planed flush with the benchtop"

They write this in step 1, so it's not intuitive when you're reading step 2...

Thanks. Missed that.

1/4” seems a lot to have to plane down.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Honestly, when I installed the Rockler face vise I missed BOTH steps, so I just did it the conventional way: a skoche above the surface and then plane it flat.

A skosh above sounds like a better method anyway. Thanks, Prashun.

What did you do about the 8 lag screws and wood movement concerns?

That vise goes on an mdf bench. I have countersunk bolts through the top.

Well, that solution is too easy. I'll have to find some way to get it to work with lag screws from below, but make some way for them to move a little. Not sure how that could work.

Actually, Alan, looking at the diagram I am reminded that the screws are all fairly close to the edge of the bench. Even if I were installing this on a solid wood bench, personally I wouldn't be concerned with movement. And if the bench were quartersawn pieces, I'd be even less concerned with movement.

I have the Veritas sliding tail vise installed on a solid ash bench (qs, 2" laminations) and it it is lag screwed into the bottom about 4-5" from the front edge, just as your vise is intended. No issues. Well, besides the fact that I don't use it anymore.

I wouldn't worry about it.

This will be installed at the middle of the bench.

The screws span 15" of width on a 33" wide bench. I'm thinking there could be substantial movement there. Am I wrong?

My bad-this is an end vise, right? I installed mine as a face vise...

Yes, an end-vise. I think just screwing the screws in would risk the wood splitting, though it is done that way on my Sjoberg's workbench.

Rockler tech support says that they haven't noted any issues regarding wood movement and the installation method of 8 1/4" lag screws across the workbench without making accommodations for wood movement. But this scares me.

Now the wood is positioned with the side grain up, so the majority of the movement should be up/down which shouldn't cause splitting. It will be installed in hard maple. Not sure how that ranks for wood movement. My shop has AC, but this is Florida, so humidity is absurd. Runs at least 60% in the shop. Often in the 70's.

Any optimal size for the thickness of the jaws? I got 8' of 8/4 Hard Maple, but will only get about 1.725" out of one piece when jointed, planed, and sanded, and 1.830" out of the other. Are those thick enough? Or should I glue them together and get another board.

My Sjoberg's bench is 2-5/8" Thick, so much beefier for comparison.

They'll be 33" wide, so I'm thinking they'll need to be thicker.