Thread: Rikon 1hp Slow-Speed Grinder

Rikon 1hp Slow-Speed Grinder

There have been several threads on what type of grinder to buy for sharpening lathe tools. Rikon slow-speed grinders consistently receive solid recommendations. For those using CBN wheels, many recommend using the 1hp grinder over its smaller 1/2hp brother. If you've been waiting to pull the trigger, Craft Supply USA has the 1hp version on sale for $186.99, a $33 savings off CSUSA's usual $219.99 price. (CSUSA adds shipping to this price.) I bought the 1hp version about a month ago at the regular price, and I'm very impressed with it.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...gn=20-11-rikon

This is just FYI. I don't have any interest in CSUSA or Rikon.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

The 1/2 hp Rikon seems to work OK with aluminum CBN wheels although the 1 hp might be better in the long run. (I have both and use aluminum wheels) With two heavy steel wheels, the 1/2" has been reported to be slow to start.

That sounds like a good price for the 1 hp.

You may have read that Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders offers a package deal with a Rikon grinder and two CBN wheels. The downside might be he buys them without the guards and tool rests which so if you decided to use standard aluminum oxide wheels some day you wouldn't have those parts. If the price is an issue maybe ask him when they go on sale!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    There have been several threads on what type of grinder to buy for sharpening lathe tools. Rikon slow-speed grinders consistently receive solid recommendations. For those using CBN wheels, many recommend using the 1hp grinder over its smaller 1/2hp brother. If you've been waiting to pull the trigger, Craft Supply USA has the 1hp version on sale for $186.99, a $33 savings off CSUSA's usual $219.99 price. (CSUSA adds shipping to this price.) I bought the 1hp version about a month ago at the regular price, and I'm very impressed with it.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...gn=20-11-rikon

This is just FYI. I don't have any interest in CSUSA or Rikon.

That is an excellent price. I know with some of the big box stores, they do go on sale once in a while. I have 2 of them. I wouldn't use the 1/2 hp one unless I had 6 inch wheels. Just not enough power for me. I prefer over built to under built. They don't run as smooth as my Baldor grinders, but you can buy 3 or 4 of them for the price of a Baldor.

robo hippy

I used for many years one of the woodcraft 1/2 hp slow speed grinders with two steel 8 inch CBN wheels and never had any problems getting the grinder up to speed