Thread: Dustopper with Festool extractor

Dustopper with Festool extractor

Has anyone used the Dustopper successfully with a Festool dust extractor? I just picked up the CT 15 E Hepa vacuum and have already run into issues connecting it to my Milwaukee sander. Hoping I won’t have similar issues connecting the Dustopper I ordered.
    Any suggestions on aftermarket fittings that might adapt standard shop vac sizes to the Festool 27 mm hose? I’ve seen some on Rockler but would prefer to hear from someone who has tried them successfully.

Blog Entries
    The dust stopper compares poorly with an actual cyclone with regards to very fine dust separation. It's the fine dust that clogs filters the worst.

Thanks Frank. Is the dust deputy better in that regard? I liked the idea of the lower profile of the Dustopper but I may rethink it.
    I was able to find a pvc fitting that was close to the size of the Festool hose and with a heat gun was able to stretch it out enough to fit over the sander exhaust port.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The Dust Deputy is the one that it was compared to in the tests that I read. But there are several clone brands that probably have similar performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The Dust Deputy is the one that it was compared to in the tests that I read. But there are several clone brands that probably have similar performance.
    The Dust Deputy is vastly superior to the dustopper and they make a specific setup for the Festool vacs. I believe it retails for $300+- but I am unsure if it will fit the CT15. I know that the Festool boom arm won’t fit the CT15, the CT-midi or the CT-Mini. Would be sweet if they came out with a boom arm for either the Mini, MIDI or CT15. You might be better off just buying a Dust Deputy ($100) or one of their clones ($25-$35 online) and make yourself a cart with the Dust Deputy mounted on a bucket next to your CT15. I have been considering getting a CT15 myself to use solely for sanding in the shop. I would likely fab up a stand that would hold the CT15 over head and have a diy extension arm hanging over my sanding table in addition to having a cyclone such as the Dust Deputy mounted close by somehow. Would love to see pics anyone has of their CT15 setups too.

When talking Dust Deputy vs Duststopper , I'll say I own and use both . The Dust Deputy is a better system for sure , not "vastly" better in my eyes . I've used the shorter Duststopper where space demanded a shorter option . Inside a mobile sanding station is where I first tried it . Combo belt/disc , OSS , big disc , boom arm for the ROS . The seal between bucket and the Duststopper must be good , or it will perform poorly . It has its place , and can solve a problem for some . I don't get much fine dust getting thru to the vac /filter , and its a sanding station . I would have liked a Dust Deputy on a bucket , just wouldn't fit in my situation .

I couldn't get the Dust Topper to work well. I found the lid a pain to open and close. I also found it tippy. I did like the hoses and fittings that came with it, and still use them.

To get it to work better, I would have had to change the bucket and put it on wheels - which means it's as much effort as getting a Dust Deputy to work.

I have the DD and it is great. It works as advertised.

There are 2 ways people use these shopvac cyclones: Under a cabinet for a dedicated tool, or for general use around the shop. If dedicated, the Topper is a better solution because it has a low vertical height.

For general use, I submit that floor space is the bigger consideration. To this end, if you have spent already a good deal on a Festool extractor, then if you CAN, get the top mount Dust Deputy that Oneida makes for it. It's a pain having C3P0 and R2 rolling intrusively around the shop. Also, the proximity of the cyclone and the vac in the top mount solution is a good thing for performance (in theory).

I tried a Dust Stopper on my shop vac mobile cart set up. I had no problems with the DS leaking, but I bought a new Homer bucket, too. As others have testified, no question, the DD has better suction.

Would a cyclone in tandem with the extractor make it more cumbersome? degrade performance?

Bottom line, all you're saving is a bag.

I bought a small tool kit and it has a flexible adapter in it maybe that would help you with the sander.

I've owned/used both . I feel the difference in CFM loss versus no cyclone to be almost nothing . The Dust Deputy is better in the fine dust department than the Dust Stopper , by a little bit . I use a Fien turbo II , I also have a Rigid Vac om y miter saws w/ good results .