Thread: Computer "Low on Memory"

Computer "Low on Memory"

So I've run into an issue while using the fiber - I've successfully been able to use the rotary quite a few times now on some tumblers and different things, but last week I started getting an error saying "Computer low on memory!" that would pop up when lighting or trying to mark in Split2 rotary mode. The program would either stop responding or close itself out after this message came up.
    For reference, I'm using the provided computer that came with the fiber.
    I tried to troubleshoot the issue myself with some of the threads I've seen on here. I ran a memory diagnostic on the computer two or three times and no alarm bells went off there. I changed my PCI Express and USB settings to off with no luck.

The issue seems to lie in my hatch settings - I can run a part with .01mm hatch no problem (usually) but anything smaller than that causes a shutdown. I get the error more consistently with each progressively smaller hatch I try to run until it completely gives out at about .005 mm.
    Could this be something with my driver or where should I look next? Thanks.
    Edited to add: this has happened to me originally after a day full of work so I chalked it up to overuse. Same thing has happened to me on start-up multiple times now so I'm assuming that isn't the issue.
    Last edited by Hayley Tague; 11-16-2020 at 10:32 AM.

I've run into this issue recently on 2 of my 3 machines. It's not the computer's memory, it's the fiber's controller memory. I have no idea how much memory the controllers are supposed to hold, but due to the fact there's a "remark" function, which allows repeat engraving of the last job downloaded to the controller, there must be a limit to the what the controller's memory will hold. ("remark" requires the user wire a separate start switch from the controller, but that's another story )

In my case, my BIL loaded up a huge file to engrave all at once, and EzCad threw the memory error at around the same point in the engraving each time. To experiment I loaded a big file on another machine, it almost fit but just before finishing it threw the error. In all cases, EzCad was done and had to be killed and reloaded.

The fix is to separate as much of the graphics as possible into different groups, then load and engrave each group separately. Splitting a large drawing into just 2 relatively equal groups should suffice I would think. I've been fibering for 4-1/2 years and only recently ran into this problem.

Another 'try it' option would be to change the hatch type. The basic disconnected hatch requires an off/on switch at the end of every line, whereas the connected-ends hatch only requires and on/off switch at the end of every run when it needs to move position. The lack of switches MAY use less memory. Or maybe not, but it's easy enough to test it out
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

This worked very well as a fix for me! I called our IT guy in to take a look and it turns out that I AM overloading the computer's memory. Granted it did only come with 4G of RAM so we're upgrading that in hopes I won't have to split up so many things. Turned on task manager and watched the usage climb as EzCAD attempted to light the design. The design was fairly simple, rotary engraving a tumbler for one of the machinists with a logo and his name, approximately 45mm square with a .01mm hatch.

Anyway, thanks for the help Kev!