Thread: Noise levels in my workshop

Noise levels in my workshop

I have added a Powered Tools and Machinery section to my website.

In this section I plan to add articles about the power tools and machines that I use in my workshop, with the modifications I have made over the years, along with the techniques which I hope others will find helpful in using them to dimension and create joinery.

The first article is just a baseline for the level of noise for the machines and power tools I have.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered...yWorkshop.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice to see the new section on your website.
    I've appreciated your thoughtful post in the forums about your tailed tools, as well.

Matt

Blog Entries
    Nice addition to the site Derek.

Have you considered building a separate closet for the dust collection & air compressor? I did that in a space adjacent to my shop & gained a little space as well as a big reduction in noise. A 5 HP collector should not be cycled frequently, so mine might stay running for extended period of time while I'm using dust generating machines only a few minutes at a time. Having that blower noise attenuated is very nice. It is also a pretty effective air cleaner with its HEPA filter. I built a filter box for the furnace that holds 2 HEPA filters and have it running steady when in the shop. It's just a quiet hum that is hardly noticeable though.

That is the only db rating of tools I have seen that gives some indication of where the mesurement was taken "within 1 meter". But, due to the inverse square rule they really should be taken in the normal operating position of the. ears. Maybe stick the microphone in your hat? I would be surprised if standing up at the tablesaw then leaning over to push work through did not double the noise level. A handplane is that loud?
    I paid extra to get a quieter minisplit air conditioner for the house. Some makes were more then twice as loud.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    That is the only db rating of tools I have seen that gives some indication of where the mesurement was taken "within 1 meter". But, due to the inverse square rule they really should be taken in the normal operating position of the. ears. Maybe stick the microphone in your hat? I would be surprised if standing up at the tablesaw then leaning over to push work through did not double the noise level. A handplane is that loud?
    I paid extra to get a quieter minisplit air conditioner for the house. Some makes were more then twice as loud.
    Bill D
    This is the proper way to measure machine noise levels. A jet engine is less than 10 db when measured from the ground and the plane is at 40,000 feet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My last two tools purchases were more for sound than anything else. A Helical Cutterhead for my Dewalt 735 planer and a Jet JBOS-5 Oscillating Spindle sander to replace an old Ryobi. The Ryobi still worked just fine but it was screaming load and exhausting to use.

I am not aware of any power tools that should be used without hearing protection. I do not consider a soldering iron a power tool. Even the rough tuff marine corps makes soldiers wear ear protection and safety glasses.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I don't use hearing protection for any of my cordless drills, but I do for the impact driver. The drill press usually not, depending on the task.

Hearing protection, besides the obvious, provides for a much more relaxing, pleasant wood working experience

I think Derek needs a noise closet for his tablesaw. (eye-popping number)
    Derek, what are you considering for dust collection?

Mallet+chisel is another area that seems to be useful to wear some sort of ear protection.

But isn't the best feeling when the noise is finished and you can get something/anything done with just background music?

Matt