Thread: Gasoline as a wood stain and preservative

Gasoline as a wood stain and preservative

So this is a new one, and one I haven't been able to find any information on.

I visited some family of mine in the deep countryside in Europe and they were in the middle of a project to install some flooring. I saw them applying gasoline on the pine boards to stain/antique them before applying linseed oil and then varnish. They said they were told by some of the local craftsmen that this was the technique they used for not only the color, but also for bug resistance. They were to apply the gasoline outside of course, let it air out for a day, then go on with the application of the linseed oil then varnish if desired.

I have only ever heard of a diesel/motor oil mix for outdoor fencing,etc. - not for any indoor projects.

They asked me what I thought as I do woodwork. I told them I had never heard of the process and I was considered about VOCs and the potential toxicity of the gasoline and additives. But I also admitted I had often used and made a wiping varnish with linseed oil, varnish and naptha - which seems similar. I've also heard of staining wood with ammonia fuming - which is potentially much more dangerous.

I will say the boards were yellowed and antiqued, so the effect seemed to work. But I was curious if anyone else had heard of this technique and had any insight into any real potential dangers, or will letting the boards air out be sufficient to avoid potential ill effects, health or otherwise.
    Last edited by Dean Arthur; 11-16-2020 at 4:39 AM.

After all, what could go wrong? Got a light?

Gasoline is comprised almost exclusively of low molecular weight, volatile hydrocarbons. It's an incredibly inefficient way of applying a tiny amount of stuff that sticks around. There are many better ways of achieving this without igniting your house and yourself. Your linseed oil and varnish is a good example, thousands of times more concentrated.

Thanks Roger, my thoughts too.

Just curious if anyone had ever heard of anything like it - it perplexed me for obvious reasons. I assume it was probably discovered years ago on accident before access to proper finishes like linseed oil, etc. was available locally and for whatever reason (momentum, etc.), they just kept on doing it. Seems dangerous of course, but I was additionally concerned on whether the boards that have already been installed should be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    After all, what could go wrong? Got a light?

Gasoline is comprised almost exclusively of low molecular weight, volatile hydrocarbons. It's an incredibly inefficient way of applying a tiny amount of stuff that sticks around. There are many better ways of achieving this without igniting your house and yourself. Your linseed oil and varnish is a good example, thousands of times more concentrated.
    ‘You’re right. It’s much safer to use cat urine as a stain. Though it’s not as fast, depending on how long it takes to train the cat to pee into the cup on command. I’m sure that a resourceful woodworker could come up with a jig to speed this up.

As a kid we used drain oil cut with a little kerosene to paint wooden fences. It kept the livestock from chewing them up.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Bad idea. The fumes are both damaging to your health and a fire hazard.

Please don’t do this or please nobody suggest that it’s a good idea even if people have done it in the past.

I can’t tell you though whether the floor boards that were soaked in lighter fluid and then sealed in by another flammable oil mean your boards are now fire starters, but that would be my assumption.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-16-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Bad idea. The fumes are both damaging to your health and a fire hazard.

Please don’t do this or please nobody suggest that it’s a good idea even if people have done it in the past.

I can’t tell you though whether the floor boards that were soaked in lighter fluid and then sealed in by another flammable oil mean your boards are now fire starters, but that would be my assumption.
    Some people used to clean the shop floor with gasoline. Maybe that was the inspiration for this? Nobody should do this anymore.

FWIW, it might throw off the arson investigators if you could prove that somebody did this. :,(

Is cat urine flammable? Maybe it depends on the cat. I’ve known some who have behaved suspiciously.

In my previous home inspection career, I had to deal with many home sellers and contractors that proclaimed their father or grandfather did it a certain way and therefore it’s the best way. Uh, no it’s not.

If your first instinct is to say No, trust your instinct. They probably did this back when gasoline had lead in it too.