Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone attach a hose to their air compressor to drain the water?

Anyone attach a hose to their air compressor to drain the water?

So instead of spraying a nasty rusty mess of water all over the wall and floor I went to home depot to buy a cheap 25ft air hose to route outside to drain the water out of the air compressor. Worked great. The drain has a 1/4" npt fitting so I was easily able to screw the air hose to it then just roll it back up and place it beside the compressor until the next time. I got one of those smaller diameter blue semi see thru hoses that people like to use for their paint guns. I just wanted to mention this in case anyone else wanted to try it. Although I ain't the sharpest blade in the shop, so I'm sure this is standard practice. lol
    Last edited by Travis Conner; 11-15-2020 at 8:07 PM.

Lots of folks extend the drain. It's practical to do so for sure. I did that originally, but later moved to an automatic drain device that takes care of things and yes, the tiny amount of moisture expelled each cycle is pushed out a hose by pressure from the tank.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    The drain on my compressor is way under the tank and difficult to get to. I extended it about 12" with the valve on the end draining into a container. It probably collects as much oil as water, but it's just a crappy Husky compressor. I wouldn't recommend those at all.

I extended the valve with pex then a automatic drain valve. Used an old worn out air hose to drain. Shoved a hose and clamped it over a nipple. Drilled a small hole through the siding for the hose to exit in the bushes.
    It took a few years to realize the hose does not have to gravity drain. that realization allowed the plumbing to get a lot easier.
    Bil lD

The Azalea bushes outside my shop get a little extra watering too, including the sharpening sink, that doesn't need a trap since there is no sewer gas involved.

I have my bathtub drain so it dumps into a rockrose next to the house. the pipe extends about 18" beyond the house. My washing machine runs in 3/4 PVC and waters four fruit trees by my shop. Just open tees so nothing to catch lint and clog. I had to drill a small air hole just outside the wall or it could siphon the machine while it was refilling and never fill up. It sprays a little water but the orange tree does not mind. The cats do.
    Bil lD

My shop compressor is on top of a mezzanine. I extended my drain with about 12' of plastic brake line connected with a brass compression fitting to the drain hole on my tank. At the other end of the line I have a ball valve. I can either open a man door and drain or spray into my sink in the winter to drain. This way it gets drained on a regular basis unlike when I had to climb a ladder to the mezzanine to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The drain on my compressor is way under the tank and difficult to get to. I extended it about 12" with the valve on the end draining into a container. It probably collects as much oil as water, but it's just a crappy Husky compressor. I wouldn't recommend those at all.
    There’s a Husky-branded drain attachment that you can install that makes this easy (I have one installed on my ancient IR SS3) so no need to do hose routing, just direct it into an old milk jug or something. Yes it scares the cat, sorry Jeeves.

Mine goes from plastic tubing into a pickle jar. Only gets style points if you like pickles, but doesn't make a mess on the floor anymore.

Doesn't seem to drain much water, so I don't think I'll be emptying it often. Might just evaporate.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I just slid a small pan under mine. One of the tin foil ones that came with a pizza hut order. Put a rock in it to hold it down.

I piped in a ball valve and hose, then routed the hose to an old plastic gas can that I rinsed out. I open the valve until I hear air coming out in the can. Take the can out and dump it every now and then.

Auto-Drain would be nice, especially if mechanical. I have only seen these on large industrial compressed air systems.

I installed an ADV and plumbed it into a 5gal tank. It’s been running without issues since 2005. I do not run the ADV 24/7, only when I’m using air.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce mine is similar. I wired mine so it sees power only when the motor does. It dumps a small amount each time it is energized then every 15 minutes or so.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bruce mine is similar. I wired mine so it sees power only when the motor does. It dumps a small amount each time it is energized then every 15 minutes or so.
    Bil lD
    Bill, it didn’t occur to me at the time to wire into the compressor switch directly, I wish it had. I installed a simple lighted rocker switch into the belt guard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the Harbor Freight auto drain that works pretty good it only works when the compressor cycles and only when it unloads.