Hi all!

As my family approaches a kitchen remodel (time frame is probably summer 2021 and I’ll be doing all the work to include custom cabinets), my wife and I are throwing around ideas.

I mentioned to her the other day that it would be cool for the peninsula that separates our kitchen from the dining room to be made in the style of a traditional woodworking bench. One main difference is that it would come all the way down the floor like a normal kitchen cabinet. Of course, there would be storage drawers and cabinets under the countertop as well.

The kitchen side of the cabinet would be counter height, while the dining room side would be bar height with an overhang for stool use.

I told her not to worry that I wouldn’t put a vise on it, but she asked me how i would make it look like a woodworking bench. I plan to make the top a few inches thick out of ash or birch and I’ll be adding dog holes that will be plugged with walnut.

So, I’m looking for ideas about how to add either true functionality or to make this bench/peninsula in the workbench style. The final size will be about 12 feet by about 3 feet. The end by the wall will have a liquor cabinet mounted to the wall with our espresso machine and grinder next to that.

I’d love to hear any creative thoughts/comments on this.

Thanks!
-Fred