Thread: Dust Collector Question

Dust Collector Question

Hi, I have dust collector question. I currently have a Jet 1100 and so far it's adequate. I have the table saw connected with 4" hose, a drum sander with 2 1/2" hose, a DeWalt 13" planner with 2 1/2" hose and an 8" jointer with 2 1/2" hose. Everything is controlled by blast gates so only one tool at a time is on the collector. I'd like to add a large chip pick up to my lathe and I don't think I have enough CFM volume to do it. What are my best and least expensive options. Thanks, Jim

I have the same Jet DC.

With the lathe, when sanding, you need the mouth very close to the work piece to be fully effective.

I've not tried it while cutting as most of the chips come towards you. I also prefer to not have the noise of the DC while cutting.

My floor is smooth concrete, so for shavings, it doesn't take more than 30 seconds to sweep up.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baldwin View Post
    Hi, I have dust collector question. I currently have a Jet 1100 and so far it's adequate. I have the table saw connected with 4" hose, a drum sander with 2 1/2" hose, a DeWalt 13" planner with 2 1/2" hose and an 8" jointer with 2 1/2" hose. Everything is controlled by blast gates so only one tool at a time is on the collector. I'd like to add a large chip pick up to my lathe and I don't think I have enough CFM volume to do it. What are my best and least expensive options. Thanks, Jim
    Aside from when sanding in the lathe, a broom and shovel are the best tools for shaving removal....Rod

Be aware that if you turn green wood and try to capture your shavings, you will end up plugging up yu pipe. Don't ask how i know. Wet wood will stick to the inside of your pipe and as more shavings pass, they will accumulate and before you know it, your plugged up. Not a fun project cleaning out pipe. I use mine while turning strictly for dust extraction while turning and sanding. While turning, I keep the shroud about 18" away, since I'm not trying to capture the chips. Sanding is a different story. Keep it as close as possible to capture dust.
    Reed Gray has a superb system made from a plastic drum that surrounds his work piece. Very ingenious setup.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I don't think you can capture the bigger chunks of wood. Even if you did without a cyclone of some sort those chips would be going through the impeller. They shouldn't damage it but it would make it even more noisy. The best solution I found for my lathe is to have a wide mouth register (for a forced air heating system in a house) with a reducer down to 4" to catch the sanding dust. It doesn't get it all and I usually have to run the lathe in reverse so it throws the sawdust towards the dust collector but it does help. Before I moved the lathe to it's current location I had a tarp behind me so the large stuff that was flying off the lathe wouldn't go too far from the lathe.

Metal lathes use a chip conveyer to pick them up and dump them into a bin behind the lathe.
    Bil lD

Picking up chips while turning is a very difficult task because of the direction(s) they fly...mostly toward the operator and to the sides, not to the back of the machine where collection would necessarily need to live. Most folks who use a collection port at the lathe do so for sanding where it can be quite effective.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...