Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin factory tour.

Martin factory tour.

Quite fascinating!

That was cool!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Cool, but hoping for CF Martin guitars.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Cool, but hoping for CF Martin guitars.
    Funny, I assumed it would be them at first as well.

Here's one from 2010....six parts..... there's more.. just google...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzD9APh4Amg

Oh nice, when I first looked at that a couple weeks ago, it didn’t have the option for English subtitles. I watched a bit, and then quickly admitted I wasn’t gaining much from viewing a mostly conversation based video In German.

Just caught myself drooling over that crosscut fence.

That was a great tour, thanks for posting! It's fun to see how that beast of a saw compares to the dainty little Felder in my shop. I can definitely understand the price difference!

Thanks for posting that. I, too, first thought it would be about Martin guitars. I enjoyed listening to the German and was trying to figure out where the company is located from the accent of the company guy when he said Allgaeu at some point, which is a very pretty, mostly rural, mountainous area in south central Germany. I'd love to take a factory tour. Like most German companies I've visited the factory was incredibly clean and organized. I was somewhat surprised they filled the frames of some of their machines with cement, but it does make sense from a vibration absorption standpoint. I wonder how much the featured machine weighs in at.

John

Wow Martin T75 PreX Automatic Sliding Table Saw.

Weight - 4400 - 4800lbs

The Pennsylvania Cable Network did a great video tour of CF Martin Guitars years ago. Worth checking out if you're an Amazon Prime subscriber: https://www.amazon.com/PCN-Tours-Mar.../dp/B0042QJAFY

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks for posting that. I, too, first thought it would be about Martin guitars. I enjoyed listening to the German and was trying to figure out where the company is located from the accent of the company guy when he said Allgaeu at some point, which is a very pretty, mostly rural, mountainous area in south central Germany. I'd love to take a factory tour. Like most German companies I've visited the factory was incredibly clean and organized. I was somewhat surprised they filled the frames of some of their machines with cement, but it does make sense from a vibration absorption standpoint. I wonder how much the featured machine weighs in at.

John,
    the factory is located in Ottobeuren. Yes in the Allgäu region. A very nice area and town. Here is a picture looking at the town from the Abby. Last time I was there was 2016. Lot of changes since then.
    B7E72F92-D905-4C48-95A5-14D41D654303.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-16-2020 at 9:58 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    Not unusual for machine manufacturers to fill weldment style frames with cement, I believe it is fairly common in the cnc world to use cement or granite epoxy. There is quite a bit to it from my understanding, hence his comment on how the machines won’t ring and sound ‘dead’ when you knock on them, the cement used can’t shrink away from the walls Or it defeats the purpose.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

SCM were doing it 30 or 40 years ago or more, not on the Invincible at least on the ones I have but they have some other type of mores substantial base.

Im still going to line stuff with Duct Seal. Did place a bulk order and it wasnt the right stuff, brush on instead of the putty. The table saw will benefit from it right away. It runs smooth already but if its off and I knock on some panels they ring, no big deal but will be better.

1 ss.jpg 2ss.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 11-16-2020 at 12:18 AM.

It was a "golly, gee whiz" tour. There were too many jump cuts and I saw little of the actual operation of the saw.