Thread: High angle wooden block plane?

High angle wooden block plane?

Looking for ideas for a plane build. I’d like to make a Krenov style block plane with a high (50* to 55*) angle. It will be used much like a scraper, with light cuts only to touch up troublesome areas. Ideas?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    One thing you might want to take into consideration is the size of plane to build. Often my troublesome areas can be taken care of by reversing the plane direction with very light cuts. Other times a smaller plane from various directions is helpful.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The best small smoother in this size is the HNT Gordon palm smoother. It has a 60 degree bed, and the performance is fantastic.

https://hntgordon.com.au/products/palm-smoothing-plane

I have made wooden block planes, but with a low cutting angle (40 degree bed), as well as 55 degree small smoothers. All in the Krenov style you refer to. I do not see why a 55 degree block plane would not work just as well.

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...vSmoother.html

Note that this was made in my pre-chipbreaker days, and today I would not make a high bed plane, but a common angle, and use the chipbreaker.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a copy of the Lie-Neilsen DVD "How to drive yourself bananas even thinking about possibly making a side escapement plane someday". I am not going to do it in this lifetime.

If you want the DVD just PM your address and I will drop it in the mail, merry christmas.

Derek, are you saying these little planes with what look like thick irons, need chip breakers? I would like to hear more your experience in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The best small smoother in this size is the HNT Gordon palm smoother. It has a 60 degree bed, and the performance is fantastic.

https://hntgordon.com.au/products/palm-smoothing-plane

I have made wooden block planes, but with a low cutting angle (40 degree bed), as well as 55 degree small smoothers. All in the Krenov style you refer to. I do not see why a 55 degree block plane would not work just as well.

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...vSmoother.html

Note that this was made in my pre-chipbreaker days, and today I would not make a high bed plane, but a common angle, and use the chipbreaker.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Richard, today I would use a lower bed (40-45 degrees) and set the chipbreaker close. That would be more effective at tearout control than I high cutting angle.

For reference, my Veritas Custom Smoother #4 has a 42 degree frog. Used with a closed up chipbreaker, it creates a perfect surface on interlocked figure.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Just curious, it is middle of the night in Australia, when do you sleep?

About 8 years ago the double iron was sort of re-discovered in the anglo world. Although high bedding angle, thick blade planes can handle difficult grain wood, a double iron can turn almost any metal or wooden plane into a great smoother and more. Take a look at these blog posts by Steve Voigt, a plane maker, Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.
    Last edited by Rafael Herrera; 11-19-2020 at 1:04 PM. Reason: Added more links.