Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0817

Grizzly G0817

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new bandsaw to upgrade my 14” cast iron Jet. I really would like a Laguna 14BX but the only problem is they are on back order until the middle of January. I’ve come across the Grizzly G0817 as the closest compromise but I haven’t found a lot of reviews. The grizzly is only a 2hp compared to 2.5 for the BX but that is not a total dealbreaker for me because I am just a hobbyist. Does anyone have any experience with this machine and will I be disappointed? I really don’t want to wait over 2 months for the Laguna.

I don't have that particular saw, but I and very pleased with the G0513ANV bandsaw. In my opinion that is a better deal and it is also in stock. I have resawed some hard maple with no problems at all. Definitely worth a look at

Blog Entries
    All makers have their good products, their bad products and the rest of their products. There would have to be something really compelling on the G0817 before I would choose it over the long-loved G0513 series. You are in the price ballpark even if you go with the Extreme model that includes the foot brake. I'm not saying the G0817 isn't good. I'm just saying the G0513 series has a long run of very happy owners in all of its personalities.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    All makers have their good products, their bad products and the rest of their products. There would have to be something really compelling on the G0817 before I would choose it over the long-loved G0513 series. You are in the price ballpark even if you go with the Extreme model that includes the foot brake. I'm not saying the G0817 isn't good. I'm just saying the G0513 series has a long run of very happy owners in all of its personalities.
    I totally agree and that is why I’m hesitant with the G0817 without seeing more feedback from real world users. The G0513X2BF is about $150 more and it is definitely a beefier machine. Benefits would be the ability to use a 1” blade while loosing 1 7/8” of resaw opposed to the G0817. The extra throat is also a benefit but I don’t plan on using it for curved work.

I went from a 14" Ridgid (well tuned and functional)--which is a pretty standard 14" saw--to an older 14" Bulgarian-made Laguna welded frame about 5 years ago now. Not the same saws you mention, but a very similar upgrade. Been happy with the beefy upgrade--but in retrospect probably would have been better served with a move up to 17" or even 19". Got my 12" of resaw height--but with 14" wheels the Laguna kind of tops out at 3/4" blades--but the saw seems to like 1/2" better. If i ever move up in size i'll keep the old Laguna as it's a great saw--but it "normal" 14" to beefy 14" didn't really change the capabilities for me--just really made me appreciate a more burly bandsaw!!
    earl

Just buy the 17'' saw. As everyone else has said it is far more capable and a better spot to "land" in a one bandsaw shop. I would also recommend getting one with a foot brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Just buy the 17'' saw. As everyone else has said it is far more capable and a better spot to "land" in a one bandsaw shop. I would also recommend getting one with a foot brake.
    That’s what I’m thinking. I’m 95% decided on the G0513X2BF. Now do I order it now with a 5% off code or do I wait until Black Friday to see if I can get a better deal🤔

Blog Entries
    Look at the Rikon Professional 3hp 14” saw. It is a workhorse. I use it to resaw raw mahogany logs as big as I can fit. It has a foot brake as well.

You can run a 1" Woodmaster CT on a 513, just barely.

I found a couple used options I am considering.

Option 1 is a 6 month old Grizzly 0531B for $2000. 14 1/2” Resaw and 5 hp.

Option 2 is a Powermatic model 81 for $1900. 12 1/2” Resaw and 2 hp.

I’m learning towards the grizzly if I can get it. I think it’s a no brainer although the powermatic looks like it’s in really nice shape and it’s around the same age as my model 100 planet, early 80’s. Any opinions of the 0563B? It looks like a big version of the 0513 from what I can tell.
    Last edited by Ian Lerew; 11-19-2020 at 8:50 PM.

Ian--did you mean the G0531B? G0563 is an edge sander.
    Whichever 5hp Grizzly--looks like it would take a 30 amp circuit, with probably 10 gauge wire. Changing a breaker is not too bad, pulling new wire is tougher if you're inside walls.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Ian--did you mean the G0531B? G0563 is an edge sander.
    Whichever 5hp Grizzly--looks like it would take a 30 amp circuit, with probably 10 gauge wire. Changing a breaker is not too bad, pulling new wire is tougher if you're inside walls.
    earl
    Yes, my mistake it is the 0531B. I am an electrical contractor so the wiring is not an issue. I have the material laying around, it’s just a matter of a couple hours of my time to run a new circuit.

I had a look at all these models and am quite confused
    The list price for the Extreme 17" model is only $1550 and would be my choice over any 14" saw,
    Its only a few quid more for that 200kg saw
    (if the shipping weight weighs little, that is)

I have seen real good results on this thread regarding the ultimate 17" machine which sells for $2795,
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Woodmaster-CT

And that 21" machine is listed @ $2295 new, so quite a bit cheaper than that machine in the Woodmaster CT thread
    It's still 300kg compared to the super stout wee 350kg one

For resawing I would go with your secondhand option 1
    Maybe there's some blades with it, as 295 quid isn't much of a discount, if there isn't and maybe for hagglers sake...
    It's not much of a discount as the warranty is half over, (which is only a year anyways, seems like Grizzly are quite good at recent times for their feedback,
    I would hope they are as good with folks and their second hand equipment.)

Not much to go wrong with a stout bandsaw like that though, its a super nice size IMO
    and won't eat thrust guides like a 14" saw would, and be quieter in use to boot.

I'd agree with Dave Cav and say your pushing it running an inch blade with the 200kg 17" saw, aswell as the 19" which weighs the same.
    The next 19" up from that looks about 230kg and probably a starting point if one had to compare.within the price of the 21" used.

I had a 20" machine before the 24" I have now, and think 21" or 22" to be the sweet spot in footprint.
    The table is small on all these machines, so I guess it wouldn't be much difference in floorspace compared to the wee 14".

Good luck
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 11-20-2020 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lerew View Post
    Yes, my mistake it is the 0531B. I am an electrical contractor so the wiring is not an issue. I have the material laying around, it’s just a matter of a couple hours of my time to run a new circuit.
    Great news on the electrical front--opens the world in tool-shopping.
    To Tom Tree's point--the $300 saved versus new is good on the surface, but if new there's another $200 in savings on shipping (that may be balanced depending on how far one drives to pick up the used one), and in my state another $160 saved in sales tax. And, at least for me, somebody else cleaning the cosmoline/shipping grease is a positive.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Great news on the electrical front--opens the world in tool-shopping.
    To Tom Tree's point--the $300 saved versus new is good on the surface, but if new there's another $200 in savings on shipping (that may be balanced depending on how far one drives to pick up the used one), and in my state another $160 saved in sales tax. And, at least for me, somebody else cleaning the cosmoline/shipping grease is a positive.
    earl
    If I were to buy it new right now with the 5% it would be about $2553 after shipping, liftgate service and tax. It’s going to cost me about $70 in fuel to go get it, so I figure I’m saving about $480 give or take a few dollars.

I talked to the guy today. The saw is practically brand new, still has the original blade on it. He basically said it’s more saw than he needs and he’d rather have the money to upgrade his cnc. So I’m going to get it on Sunday morning.

I ran the conduit today and I’ll pull wire in tomorrow and grab a receptacle on my way home Sunday since I’m not sure what the plug configuration is. It is very nice being able to do that myself. All the material is surplus that I didn’t have to pay for except maybe $30 for the breaker and a few miscellaneous things.
    Last edited by Ian Lerew; 11-20-2020 at 7:38 PM.