Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hollow chisel mortiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Well, Mr Wurster (above) presents a potential opportunity for you to acquire one here on the east coast. Make him an offer (via PM).
    Unfortunately it's 7 hours each way and with the virus restrictions I would have to self isolate when I returned. I don't know what restrictions are like on that end. That would mean having it shipped. Not knowing which model/ features it has it doesn't really make sense. From what I've read most of the bench top mortisers, at least the modern ones, aren't built that rugged. I'm guessing that a not so sharp chisel is most likely causing a lot of the issues but I would rather not be trying to guess if it's me or the tool that's causing a problem. That's why I figured if I was going to do it I would get a heavier floor model that hopefully have more rigidity.

I've seen a couple old iron mortisers but they look very old. One had a couple broken parts that had been repaired. While I like old iron I don't know if I want to try to track down parts if needed. Right now I'm more focused on my working with wood skills than repairing.

Someday I could see myself with a domino, maybe ev

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    The Baileigh bench top HCM I have gets used in pretty much every project I do and is mounted permanently at the end of one of the benches. And it's a great tool, lacking only the ability to tilt, that really gets a workout in my shop.

And here's the best part - a real hold down to go along with the xy table.
    Attachment 445085
    I looked at the Baileigh mortisers but the shipping is a killer. The mortiser you have would be about $400 and another $250 for shipping. The next step up is their floor model (MC-1000) without the tilting table for about the same price as the Grizzly G0840. The G0840 is identical to their MC-1000TT but for the price of their MC-1000.

Blog Entries
    There is a Wysong 284 Automatic on IRS Auctions that looks to be in nice shape.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Unfortunately it's 7 hours each way and with the virus restrictions I would have to self isolate when I returned. I don't know what restrictions are like on that end. That would mean having it shipped. Not knowing which model/ features it has it doesn't really make sense. From what I've read most of the bench top mortisers, at least the modern ones, aren't built that rugged. I'm guessing that a not so sharp chisel is most likely causing a lot of the issues but I would rather not be trying to guess if it's me or the tool that's causing a problem. That's why I figured if I was going to do it I would get a heavier floor model that hopefully have more rigidity.

I've seen a couple old iron mortisers but they look very old. One had a couple broken parts that had been repaired. While I like old iron I don't know if I want to try to track down parts if needed. Right now I'm more focused on my working with wood skills than repairing.

Someday I could see myself with a domino, maybe ev
    It's a Jet benchtop. I was the original owner and Steve lives right around the corner from me. Yes, travel is not a fun thing right now. It was just a suggestion.

And yes...sharp is important as is proper orientation of the drill bit relative to the end of the chisel, etc. Whether you're using a benchtop unit or a heavy, old iron, floor standing machine, setup is the key to best results within the machine's capability.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I did look at it but it's kind of a beast. It has two 3 phase motors on it, a 5hp and a 1.5hp so there would be some expense to make it run on single phase. I think that the 1.5hp motor is just for the oscillating feature so maybe it wouldn't be needed. But it's 15 hours south of me. I'm not too comfortable with shipping something like this. If new one is damaged then I refuse delivery and they send a new one. But with this, however it shows up is what I get. I'm guessing it'll sell for at least $1000 with another $150 buyers fee and 6.75% tax. If it was lighter I have a good friend that lives a couple hours away that could make sure it was secured and well protected to ship it but I'm guessing that it must weigh over 1000 lbs so he would have no way to get it back to his house. Also while I have plenty of room in my shop getting something that big into it would pose a bit of a challenge.

I have been watching IRS (and a couple others) for the last couple years. I've seen a Powermatic 719T and a Grizzly (top of their line) sell for about $1000 but both were kind of far away (the Grizzly was in western PA). Used auction prices have been really high lately. I'm guessing it's from the limited amount of new stuff coming from Asia.

Blog Entries
    If that’s the case I probably wouldn’t get a hollow chisel mortiser at all, something like a JDS multi router would be more appealing to me if I couldn’t have an old iron mortiser for practical reasons.

A mortiser that flexes is not useful, there is a good reason the old machines were so heavy, they would not have made them so if it wasn’t necessary.

The older, big grizzly is probably fine. I know of one person with that one and he likes it. The lightweight mortisers aren’t worth it everyone I know who has one either stops mortising with a chisel or replaces it with a heavy machine. One of my very good friends, who was extremely talented, cursed the lightweight mortiser in his shop constantly. The Wadkin DM and many Japanese made mortisers are really the way to go for compact mortisers and they are still 800lbs or so.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-15-2020 at 7:09 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Ssssshhh. I’ve got my eyes on that one

It does look to be in nice condition. In all reality, it will likely go for more than I’m prepared to spend and it would be a bear to move into my shop, but you never know.
    Still waters run deep.

8. I bought the Rikon benchtop model this summer when it was on sale at Woodcraft. I have only used it on a few projects, but so far it seems good. I'm certainly happy with it and it's a major time saver over using the router and then squaring up the mortise.

I bought a benchtop one, installed it on a flip-top table I built, and it's been hanging upside down for years. The belt sander on the other side is upright and gets used.

A lesson for me there, somewhere. It's living a more tortured fate than the one mentioned that's living under the table saw wing.

I use the Domino, often, for those projects.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a General International benchtop mortiser mounted on it's own stand. I use it when I need mortises. As stated earlier, sharp chisels are the key to successful and happy use!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I bought the Delta hollow chisel mortiser DP attachment. I had to make a bushing so it would fit my Craftsman DP. Originally bought it to make a Mission bed headboard and footboard. It would have been difficult with any other tool with the curves I had to deal with. It wasn't easy pushing a 5/8" chisel with a DP, but it worked. Have since used it on a few other projects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

Have a floor model PM. Use it, love it. Bought it cheap.

If I was looking to get one now, I would get a horizontal mortiser or pantarouter.