Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New build...a bass this time around

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    So when are you running the 2 weekend course on guitar/bass building?
    LOL. while that might be fun, it would also be a disservice to anyone willing to attend. That said, I do recommend that anyone interested "just do it". A CNC isn't necessary and there's some good skill building (and tool acquisition possibilities... available. That TDPRI forum I mentioned is like the 'Creek when it comes to helpful people, too. Several 'Creekers, including Prashun, are members for this affliction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    LOL. while that might be fun, it would also be a disservice to anyone willing to attend. That said, I do recommend that anyone interested "just do it". A CNC isn't necessary and there's some good skill building (and tool acquisition possibilities... available. That TDPRI forum I mentioned is like the 'Creek when it comes to helpful people, too. Several 'Creekers, including Prashun, are members for this affliction.

Ill keep my eye out for any mind changes.

The neck is in the finishing process at this point...given I don't have a good solution for spraying right now with the temporary shop, I opted for hand finishing the neck...water soluble dye, wax free shellac to seal the dye and then a couple of coats of Varathane satin polyurethane varnish I had left over from refurbishing our dining table prior to the move. Satin sheen is preferred for the back of a neck so that's ideal but I may gloss up the face of the headstock later. The dye and clear definitely helped bring out the mild birdseye in the maple I used for the neck. I also did a little refining to tighten up the neck pocket on the body and will soon start on the finishing process for that. (note, shine in the photo because it was taken right after application of the varnish. There's no shine like that after it cured)

IMG_9974.jpg
    --

This project is coming along nicely at this point...

IMG_0057.jpg
    --

That's really looking good, Jim! And I love the body shape - is that your original design (I didn't go back and read, so if you've already told us - sorry!)?
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    That's really looking good, Jim! And I love the body shape - is that your original design (I didn't go back and read, so if you've already told us - sorry!)?
    Thans. The body design is reminiscent of a Music Man Albert Lee guitar design, as it the headstock shape I've adopted with the 3x1 (bass) and 4x2 (guitar) tuner arrangement. The body shape I used for the koa covered guitar awhile back was manipulated for size and (hopefully) balance point. I'm hoping it's got enough body mass to balance the longer bass scale neck "lever".
    --

"For the moment" I'm done with the bass project. I have some additional setup work to do for intonation and I need to get the action lower, but that's going to have to wait a bit just due to other priorities and I want to get it out of the temporary shop so it doesn't accidentally get damaged. Hopefully within the next month I'll have my "music area" setup in the family room including a hanging system for the guitars and I'm sure the bass will look right at home with everything else.

I enjoyed building this...it was instructive and I learned a few things. The next one will benefit from that.

IMG_0270.jpg
    --

It looks great, Jim, and like it's just so ready to be played! Nice work!
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

I still have to intonate it, David...and I'm really not happy with the string height. I'm not sure if I got the neck pocket too deep for the hardware I used (my mistake for sure) but I may need to shim to get the action down to where it needs to be for it to be "well playable". The bridge is nearly bottomed out already. We learn...
    --

Like - Like - Like - Like - Like

Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

You need to find a way to "consult" with the local affiliate of your new employer sometime so you can play this thing for me. And we're only five minutes from the train station; actually even closer to the stop before the end at the University.
    --