Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where do you store a Moxon vise?

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I hang mine from a beam on a dowel, actually I hang a lot of things in my shop now

I gotta ask. Mike, what's the item hanging next to the Moxon?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I gotta ask. Mike, what's the item hanging next to the Moxon?
    Hi Clifford, it's a saw vise. Keeps it nicely out of the way too.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Mine has wings, but also a lip for a holdfast.

Attachment 445089

I take it off my bench and store it on a shelf. It's close, so I can have it ready to go in seconds.

Attachment 445088

The Moxon vise is one of the best things I've added. The extra 6 inches of height makes a world of difference for my sawing position and my aching back.
    Clifford, it looks like you have a couple of Cohen-inspired features: flip-up shelf and I-beam prop with Crubber on the tops. Also, thanks for the sensible, convenient storage photo.

Glad you like it. I think one other desirable feature of a Moxon is the ease of securing the work in between the chops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Clifford, it looks like you have a couple of Cohen-inspired features: flip-up shelf and I-beam prop with Crubber on the tops.
    Indeed. If I recall, Derek's had a groove for a sliding clamp in the flip up shelf. That would be a nice upgrade to mine someday.

My second bench is 41" high. Many uses but thus far, no vise.

Small Bench.jpg

Tom,

That's awesome. Where did you find the base? And nice looking shop-would be fun to see more pictures.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Where to store was also a small issue. So when I added a platform at top back of the Moxon, I extended the rear bottom to square it off to store the Moxon vise vertically along a wall and not have the handwheels and shafts protrude. You can see the bottom extension in the pics. Also eliminated wings to reduce the length. It attaches to my workbenches extremely well using holdfasts instead.

Norman

IMG_0426-1200.jpgIMG_0556-1200.jpg