Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New shop under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I've always thought using a DC to blow them into trailer of some sort would work well.
    Keith Outten uses this method for his shop in mid-VA.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

2/28 shop update:

Electric: 200 amp panel installed, and wiring roughed in for ceiling lights (American green led), and receptacles. Ran conduit under slab for major equipment items. Opted out of 3 phase rotary converter at this time to try to save some money.

Heating: 30,000 btu mitizubishi mini split roughed in (at just over $5k much more than I was planning).

Walls and ceiling will be dry walled (60 4x12 sheets) and painted this week. I was originally thinking wood panels, but decided on drywall for price, and lighting. I have backing boards at 54 and 86” from floor so I can easily hang shelving without hunting for studs. Also have backing boards in the vaulted ceiling to hang two air filters and a hose reel for air compressor.

Air Compressor. Went for overkill here. 5 HP 2-stage polar air (Eaton) arrives next week. American made and not cheap! I will run air around the shop perimeter with 3 wall outlets and 1 ceiling outlet over assembly table. I will use a combination of 1/2 inch max line and 3/4 fastpipe.

Dust collector: just ordered the Oneida 5 hp high vac system. Luckily I had a quote from late last year that Oneida honored. Price went up over $500 last month. Will wait to to after I move in equipment before ordering suction (I will go with nordfab).

Also have 5 hp drum sander on order from Woodmaster.

The floors will be finished with Armour epoxy product I will lay down rubber floor mats at key places. I would like to find ones that vacuum easily!

Yard is a muddy mess!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bob cohen View Post
    The foundation has been poured and framing will start this week. I'm still on the fence about which DC unit to go with.
    I also only have a slab with the pre-fab (Tuff-Shed) coming mid next month. My DC will live in a lean-to that I will add-on after the bulk of the building is in place. I scaled this for a 5HP unit but, will try to milk my 2HP unit to see if that will cut it. I opted for mini splits over a new DC. Time will tell if I have to bite the bullet for a larger DC unit down the road. The important thing is that I have built for it. Like all insurance, you spend in the hopes of not needing

I am lucky enough to have fairly flat access but, the tractor idea has merit with your land (from the pics). However, if you are anywhere close to a rental outfit I would rent when needed. As you say, at this point in our lives, priorities change. Owning a tractor is not nearly as important to me as having access to one when I want one. Even an expensive rental is a trifle compared to owning, maintaining and storing. I can also rent a much nicer RV and boat than I can afford and I don't have to store them . . . see how priorities shift? I am also contemplating an outhouse if the stroll between house and shop becomes annoying.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-28-2021 at 12:50 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When it’s time to look at rubber floor mats check out horse stall mats. The ones I have are 4x6’. I think 3/4-1” thick and only about $45. Only downside is they are HEAVY.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution