Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New shop under construction

real nice Steve
    should keep you busy all winter
    Ron

Maybe your first build could be an outhouse. The place looks great. What a beautiful setting.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO

12/13/20 Shop update

The foundation has been poured and framing will start this week. I'm still on the fence about which DC unit to go with. This will be my fourth DC system and I am determined to get it right this time. It was be housed in an attached 6'X10' sound-insulated side room (footers just poured, picture below) where I will also have my air compressor. I keep switching my mind between the 5HP High Vac Oneida cyclone and the Felder RL160. I like Felder's dust bin design, but their filters can be a mess to clean (at least that's what I've read). I've own two Oneida cyclones, but none more that 3HP. I have a 26 Woodmaster drum sander on order, hence the desire to up the power. I also have a pair of ceiling air cleaners to install. Having a clean and quite shop are two of my highest priorities and lucky a lot of my work is none with hand tools. Room to work is another big priority. Other tools are fairly standard (15” planer, 8” jointer, cabinet saw, 19” bandsaw. I also have a lathe, chop saw, drill press, and router table, but I will use dedicated shop vacs with HEPA filters for those, so I can maximize collection at the other tools and minimize piping costs. A 60-gal single stage air compressor will meet my needs but it’s tempting to go with a 80-gal two stage compressor and add an air-powered sander. I do a fair about of sculpture in my work and am always looking for ways to make the sanding parts more efficient. Maybe a spray gun, too, but I certainly don’t need that. I use a wipe on/wipe off Waterlox finish for virtually all of my pieces. In my dreams, I’ll add a CNC down the road, which I would use to make router templates for furniture parts. The biggest remaining decision is access to the shop. As you can see in the photo, I don’t have any. I could trade my car for a truck, but I love my car, and trucks are ridiculously expensive. I’m thinking instead of putting in a paved walk so I can unload to a pallet jack in the driveway and wheel to the shop. It’s slightly uphill most of the way and I worry about pulling heavy items up it. Thanks for all of the feedback and encouragement so far. Hmm not letting me upload picture. I will try later

It sounds like wonderful space! What about a little garden tractor and trailer to haul things in and out of your shop?

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I need to look into that. Any idea how much I would need to spend for loads up to 1000 pounds?

Hi Bob,
    I would think the slope of your pathway would be a factor. If it’s not steep, it probably wouldn’t take much. After all, I push 600# tools around on a mobile base easily. A quick chat at a lawn equipment dealer would probably tell you all you need to know. OTOH, a pallet jack and large cart with big casters may be enough and a lot cheaper. Many years ago a jack and a cart were all we used in the warehouse where I worked in high school. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bob cohen View Post
    I keep switching my mind between the 5HP High Vac Oneida cyclone and the Felder RL160.
    There's been previous discussion here and elsewhere about the latter, especially about the cleaning out fun. No question I'd choose the Oneida and the Hi Vac version is really versatile as it will work well with both conventional tools and equipment like CNC machines very well.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There's been previous discussion here and elsewhere about the latter, especially about the cleaning out fun. No question I'd choose the Oneida and the Hi Vac version is really versatile as it will work well with both conventional tools and equipment like CNC machines very well.
    Thanks, Jim. That's how I'm leaning, especially now that it will housed outside the main shop where noise won't be as big as an issue--not that I want to disturb my neighbors either.....

following...

I have a trailer that I pull with a Kubota side by side. It works well. I think that would for you to. Do you get all your lumber delivered? I couldn’t do without my truck.
    Charlie Jones

A couple of years ago I upgrade from my original 20 yr old Oneida 1.5hp cyclone to their 5hp single phase Gorilla Pro w/Smart Boost and have been totally pleased with it and pleasantly surprised at the big difference in performance compared to my older unit.

Trailer
    I picked up a beat 2 sled snowmobile trailer and built a 4' x 6' deck, with removable 12" high sides. It is easily good for 1000 pounds and has outlasted 4 vehicles with hitches. You could start with most any boat trailer or just buy a finished trailer. Very handy and can be moved by hand or lawn tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by bob cohen View Post
    Thanks, Jim. That's how I'm leaning, especially now that it will housed outside the main shop where noise won't be as big as an issue--not that I want to disturb my neighbors either.....
    Bob — I have the Oneida 5HP cyclone in my shop (not the Hi-Vac version as it was too tall for my space). It handles the 38” wood master with no issues, so you won’t have any problems.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Bob, it sounds like you have enough space to use bag or tube filters rather than a cartridge, They are far easier to clean if clogged and work as well if properly sized.

I would think being in SC you have options that we up north don't have. What do you do with your wood ships/ sawdust? Do you have a place to dump them or do you have to bring them somewhere to get rid of them? I've always thought using a DC to blow them into trailer of some sort would work well. With a little work you could have a dumping feature. If having to take it to a dump then being able to just hook it up to a vehicle and driving there without dealing with bags or barrels.