Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New shop under construction

New shop under construction

Foundation poured! This will be my fourth shop having moved into our new home almost exactly one-year ago. It will be 25 X 42, with a 10' vaulted ceiling. No plumbing allowed, but will have 200 AM service with 10 HP rotary phase converter. Dust collector and air compressor will lie in shed outside of shop. I know this configuration will add to heating and cooling costs, but at this stage of my life I care much more about floor space, clean air, and noise than a few extra dollars a month. By biggest concern moving forward is access--there is no path to the shop from my street. I will keep you posted as progress continues

new shop Nov 2020.jpeg

That's going to be a really nice space! (About the size I'd like if I got to build another shop someday)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My shop isn't even finished yet, and I'm already jealous of all the elbow room in your space. f
    --Jack S. Llewyllson

Gratitude is a gift to yourself.

Purity tests are the bane of human existence.

Codeine takes the pain from every muscle but the heart.

Blog Entries
    Watching closely! I have plans to build a shop and am always looking for ideas. Ideas for already built shops are easy to find, but I am interested in from-scratch ideas, like putting troughs in the foundation, or other things related to the build itself. Also, if you aren’t shy about sharing costs, that helps see what to expect.

Best of luck with your adventure!

"here" insulation on inside of block an under the floor would be important, maybe not where you are at.
    Both to keep floor warmer also keeps floor and any items on it from sweating with temp swings.
    Sure looks like it will be a nice shop
    good luck
    Ron

Good luck on your shop build.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    No plumbing allowed? Perhaps you just need a variance - might be worth a call to your code enforcement officer to see if there would be any opportunity to get a utility sink at a minimum. I've been using an off-grid water tank/utility sink setup with success, but am greatly looking forward to our upcoming renovation which will bring public water and sewer to my barn shop.

In any case, that's going to be a nice shop! Looking forward to the build.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Bob, there are a lot of jurisdictions that will not allow plumbing in a building like this and will not issue a variance, either. There any number of reasons from the "technical mundane" of things like septic capacity, to the "ever popular", "we don't want anything that could be turned into an apartment". The latter is a huge thing here in my township and was what precluded plumbing in my own shop building where I wanted to have a half-bath with a toilet and sink for convenience. The septic was sized large enough, but concerns about illegal apartments abound.
    --

Blog Entries
    I hear you and that’s true. But I would definitely call and find out for sure.

(formerly worked in construction sales and project management so I totally get that township rules run a wide range)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

All depends on who you know.
    Rite connections get what you want. Old money, went to school with the right people and know too much, etc.
    No connections then you spend lots of money and time with lawyers, architects, etc and get turned down
    Ron

Here in SE PA, plumbing is probably the hardest bar when it comes to any kind of building and remodeling. I know some folks who tried to grease the wheel via relationships, but didn't get far. At least the townships no longer use their own employees for inspections...that was a total nightmare. (we experienced that in 2008 when we put on our major addition) They all use third party services which has made things a lot more consistent. Hopefully, things are reasonable for the OP.

That said, I hope the OP will comment on the why around the no plumbing thing for his specific property/jurisdiction. It would be good to know and understand that.
    --

Shop update: I just got approval for a sink. No toilet as the city has a strict ordinance against a second dwelling on my property. Once there is a toilet they are afraid someone will start living there! if not me, then perhaps the next owner.

Since you asked, the estimate for the shop is $105K. I had two other estimates that were closer to $150K. It will be finished with vinyl siding and a shingled roof, all to match the house. It will have a vaulterd ceiling, which will be dry walled and contain a single beam across the short axis, which I will use for lifting heaving equipment.

I will have central dust collection powered by the Oneida 5HP single phase cyclone, with nordfab ducting. All runs should be relatively short and I’m hoping that this shop will be my cleanest yet.

The slab will be 5” thick and reinforced with rebar. I told the builder I might pick up some old heavy machinery (1000 plus pounds) in the future and he said I’ll be ok. I would like to pick up an Northfield #4 with the standard roller top some day!.

I will finish the walls myself, probably with tongue and groove wood panels.

Bob, Looks like a great shop!! If you can swing foam under the concrete that would help if you're in a cold climate. Very cool shop I'm excited to see how it progresses. Congratulations on the sink that's a huge win. Cleaning brushes washing hands etc.

Thanks, Dan. I will ask my builder about it. This is his first wood shop build, but he has been planning one for himself and is pretty knowledgeable and also open minded.

FB0F64B7-EF89-426F-9994-CE622A0F5C04.jpgD47D1072-AA47-463B-B614-7E5B04E0B35E.jpg08519ACC-BD44-45A5-9298-87624E76DE4D.jpg5CA478DB-D03A-4B95-873C-6DA8484CE394.jpgI just went thru the same process. I just added a detached 24’x36’ shop with 9’ walls and vaulted ceilings. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but expect to pay more than expected and for it to take longer. I signed contract on 01/29/2019 and just got the final inspection a couple of weeks ago. I live in the mountains and on a sloping lot. And access was a challenge. I was also not allowed to have a toilet unless I installed a separate septic system. I could not justify that expense, the house is close by. I was able to get a outdoor hose bib at the garage door. Now that it is finished I will have shop to keep me busy during the winter months. Attached are some pics of the progress.