Thread: Lee Valley Replica Egg-Beater Drill

Lee Valley Replica Egg-Beater Drill

A new/old egg beater drill is now available from Lee Valley. Looks interesting. I have enough vintage models so probably won't buy one but it looks cool.

The blurb on the web page is as follows;

Code:
    Named for the bevel gear mechanism they share with the kitchen  implement, egg-beater drills allow precision and control that make them  well suited for small and delicate work.
     This replica is closely based  on the collectible Whitney patent drill originally produced near the end  of the 19th century. A relatively small drill, it excels at predrilling  for screws and other light-duty tasks.

Like many tools of the time, the original had intricate hand-painted  decoration that we have chosen to cast into the tool; you can detail  them with paint or colored lacquer if you want to highlight the vintage  aesthetic.

Two collets are included, one that accepts drill bits from 1/64" to  3/64" and the other drill bits from 1/16" to 3/32". Made of a tough  zinc-aluminum alloy with a black powder-coat finish, with  stainless-steel chuck and collets and a wooden crank handle.

Made in Canada.
    15N1001-lee-valley-replica-egg-beater-drill-f-0417.jpg
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

It’s only $1 more than the egg-beater!
    0080417B-3275-4E94-889F-46F4174AC1F3.jpg
    Make sure your wife buys the right ‘egg-beater’ for Christmas!
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 11-13-2020 at 7:41 AM. Reason: -
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I'm afraid that when I put the bits in the handle, they'll just fall everywhere

Thanks Hilton. I missed that item.
    How are things in Johannesburg, relative to Covid? Are you and your family ok?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    How are things in Johannesburg, relative to Covid? Are you and your family ok?
    Fred
    Yes all good thanks Fred. For some reason we have nothing like the attrition rate seen in the US. Not sure why though. Been watching your elections pan out and here's hoping the economy gets back on track.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

It's not a replica, just a copy. Replica was specifically coined to mean a copy made made by the original artist.
    The drills are fun, glad they are back.

If you want to be pedantic, the word "replica" has a few different meanings, and this drill still counts as a replica.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/replica
    1. a copy or reproduction of a work of art produced by the maker of the original or under his or her supervision.
    2. any close or exact copy or reproduction.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/replica
    1: an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist
    // a replica of this was painted … this year
    — Constance Strachey
    2: a copy exact in all details
    // DNA makes a replica of itself
    // sailed a replica of the Viking ship
    broadly : COPY
    // this faithful, pathetic replica of a Midwestern suburb
    — G. F. Kennan

Yes, it's been mis-used and watered down. But it's origin is well documented. Coined in 1826, If memory serves.
    The bigger deal is I need to recognize it's a lost cause. I apologize.
    But I have to add that the loss of accuracy is bad thing. No purpose is served by lots of words all used for the same
    thing.

Millers falls hand drill crank fabricated 20200820_211104.jpg

My father's Millers Falls drill handle broke in 1956 and he repaired it poorly.

In 2020 I cloned a correct handle and knob.