Thread: Tip for spraying EM6500

Tip for spraying EM6500

The last project went pretty well, so on to the next attempt at spray finishing. I'm making a bathroom vanity for a friend with an odd space in a quite old house. I decided to try finishing with Target EM6500 and HSF5000 primer (they want a painted finish).

My AMS-6008 HVLP gun from Homestead came with 1.0, 1.3, and 1.5 mm tips. Target says 1.8 for this product, others on line have said 2, some say it's OK with 1.5 or even 1.3. I'll need to order the bigger tip, which will delay their project a couple days. I only bought a quart of product, so can't play around a whole lot and I will need to practice with these new materials.

I'm tempted to get the recommended tip, is there any reason I should do something else? (aside from the question of time/money which favors using what I have) Any other sage advice on doing this project successfully the first time?

Are there other sizes you would recommend as "must have" for general shop finishing tasks? (as long as I'm ordering and paying for shipping)

I spray it with the 1.5mm N/N with the same gun and PPS system. What you use really depends upon the specific fun and the advise received is only a general guideline. It's viscous stuff but the pressurized setup pushes it out pretty nicely. I suggest you do some test shooting with the product to get a feel for it and get your gun settings zeroed in. If it's not laying down the way you want no matter what, try thinning slightly with water or extender.

This is EM6500 top coated with EM7000HB prior to buffing

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you will be fine with the 1.5. What sheen?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I think you will be fine with the 1.5. What sheen?
    From the web site: "Please Note that EM6500 is only available in a Satin/35 Sheen." So not very glossy. I guess I can clear coat it if my friend wants a shinier finish.

Jim-- Thanks, I was hoping that might be what you said. That's quite a color on that body! Fit it out with a MOTS fingerboard and peghead and it would be a thing to behold.

That one has a maple neck and fretboard...it was my first build. I forget the exact color name, but it's a teal from the BM color catalog. Target will tint to BM, SW and one other catalog for you as part of the order process.

On the sheen, it's true that the EM6500 is only available in satin. You can make it "more satin" or glossier by rubbing/micromesh and/or topcoating with EM6000 or EM7000HB in whatever sheen you prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's funny. I didn't notice that when I ordered. I guess because I topcoated it with the CV8000.

If you were spraying Target's satin or flat finishes, the gun parameters and application technique are more forgiving than the gloss, I am finding.

I sprayed my son's bath vanity with the EM6500 Fuji Semipro 2 stage with the 1.3mm tip and it went on perfectly. I didn't have to do any adjusting.

7. Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    The last project went pretty well, so on to the next attempt at spray finishing. I'm making a bathroom vanity for a friend with an odd space in a quite old house. I decided to try finishing with Target EM6500 and HSF5000 primer (they want a painted finish).

My AMS-6008 HVLP gun from Homestead came with 1.0, 1.3, and 1.5 mm tips. Target says 1.8 for this product, others on line have said 2, some say it's OK with 1.5 or even 1.3. I'll need to order the bigger tip, which will delay their project a couple days. I only bought a quart of product, so can't play around a whole lot and I will need to practice with these new materials.

I'm tempted to get the recommended tip, is there any reason I should do something else? (aside from the question of time/money which favors using what I have) Any other sage advice on doing this project successfully the first time?

Are there other sizes you would recommend as "must have" for general shop finishing tasks? (as long as I'm ordering and paying for shipping)

I just got done spraying MDF doors with EM6500 and a 1.5 tip. I thinned about 5-10% and it laid down beautifully. I also added about an ounce of Floetrol.

I sprayed the primer unthinned, no additives with the 1.5 tip and then the EM6500 unthinned with the 1.8 tip with the addition of crosslinker. I have to say I'm awestruck, both at how easy it was and how well it is coming out (cursing myself for sure there!). I'm starting to be really sorry I avoided spraying for 40 some years based on bad experience with crappy equipment and poor product.

Huge thanks to Jim Becker, John TenEyck and the rest of you for advice and encouragement, as well as Jeff Weiss at Target for patiently answering questions! Pictures will come when it is done.

Right?
    If you really want to kick yourself, try spraying CV8000 on your next table project. Flat or satin. It practically sprays itself and it's quite durable.