Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Walmart FREE Unlimited Delivery $98 a year but its free (Sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The Nevada bases do a lot of naval gunfire training and testing and bomb ranges for aircraft. Kinda hard to test 16" guns in built up neighborhoods. I would not want to have 2,000 pound shells flying over my house. They no longer test atomic bombs in Nevada.
    Bil lD.

I really don't think the Navy test 16" guns in NV these guns are mounted on Battle ships and tested at sea on the ships that are built for them.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Third-party sellers on Amazon usually include the cost of shipping with "free shipping for Prime members" items. Just Google the seller's website and look for the same item next time you see it on the right side of the corresponding Amazon page.

Blog Entries
    The Navy stored 16" barrels in Nevada and Idaho. These needed to be relined very so many shots.
    The locations were chosen during WW2 to be far enough away from the coast to be out of canger.

Howard Garner ex USN

The largest Navy base is in Norfolk Virginia.
    There is a Navy firing range in the Atlantic ocean way off the coast of Virginia Beach.
    The catapults on all the Nuclear carriers are tested in the James River.
    i could probably write a book

I don't know how you folks can live so far from the ocean or even a large river.
    The blue dot on the map is SawMill Creek.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-16-2020 at 9:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    So if shipping costs $6.00 per non free order you broke even.
    I assume you are talking about my post. Someone else pays for my Prime account so it costs me nothing. I probably wouldn't have a Prime account if I had to pay the $119 for it. One of the good things about Prime is I can often, but not always, get the items faster than free shipping with another vendor. I won't order anything fulfilled by Amazon when I don't have Prime as Amazon intentionally delays free shipping orders. (Thousands of people mentioning this online.)

I always check various shopping sites when I order something and don't need it quick. The lowest total price usually wins. I find it isn't unusual for shipping to be more than $6 for a small $10 to $20 order. I just bought some metric bolts I couldn't find locally from Amazon as their shipped price was less than any other place.

I looked up the claim that Norfolk is the largest navy base, it is only 3,400 acres which is only 5 square miles. I suppose by modern naming conventions that may be true but Fallon navy air station is 240,000 acres, all on dry land.
    San Francisco bay which one of the best natural harbors in the world and, definitely the best harbor in North America, has no navy bases anymore.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-16-2020 at 11:32 PM.

Bill acreage wise NV is bigger only because it has more land but that land is a bombing range . Theres only about 3000 People stationed there.Norfolk Nave Base population includes more than 80,000 active duty personnel, 112,000 family members and 30,000 civilians

Bill Please read here and learn
    https://www.ourmilitary.com/best-navy-bases/
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 11-17-2020 at 12:01 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    If you add up all the Navy facilities in the Norfolk area there is considerably more than just the Naval Base. For instance: Norfolk Naval base, NAS Norfolk, Craney Island Navy Supply Center, Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Naval Operational Support Center Norfolk, Naval Operational Support Center Norfolk, US Navy Department Amphibious Group, Joint Amphibious Support Base, NavFac Norfolk, IWTG Norfolk, etc.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you add up all the Navy facilities in the Norfolk area there is considerably more than just the Naval Base. For instance: Norfolk Naval base, NAS Norfolk, Craney Island Navy Supply Center, Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Naval Operational Support Center Norfolk, Naval Operational Support Center Norfolk, US Navy Department Amphibious Group, Joint Amphibious Support Base, NavFac Norfolk, IWTG Norfolk, etc.

Not to mention Naval Air Station Oceana and he weapons training facility (Dam Neck) out in Virginia Beach

Howard Garner (MTC retired)

Blog Entries
    I will reply, I was in the navy. You never give up your heritage because you retire. I was on Key West Fla. on DE 252, Howard D. Crow and one day we were training sonarmen and I looked behind us and saw the Nautilus on the surface making over 20 knots with a rooster tail 30 ft in the air.