Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmart FREE Unlimited Delivery $98 a year but its free (Sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I often see deals like 0.99 for one and only 1.99 for two shrink wrapped together in a bargain pack.
    Bill D

Walmart is currently selling an Energizer LED flash light. In loose display, the are $2.50. Up by cash registers in blister pack, same light is $4.95. In high school, my sister worked for a "Dime Store.( Remember those?) They had dish cloths 30 cents each, or three for a dollar with a rubber band around them. Her job was to every hour go by and bundle three from the loose ones and mark them three for a dollar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Walmart is currently selling an Energizer LED flash light. In loose display, the are $2.50. Up by cash registers in blister pack, same light is $4.95. In high school, my sister worked for a "Dime Store.( Remember those?) They had dish cloths 30 cents each, or three for a dollar with a rubber band around them. Her job was to every hour go by and bundle three from the loose ones and mark them three for a dollar
    I have read stories from the old days where a grocery store would have an end cap of some sort of canned food for say 25 cents each. It wasn't selling so they changed the price to three for $1. They flew off the shelf even though the price had been increased.

On an episode of Little House on the Prairie the Merchantile ran something like a 25% off sale ad in all the local small town newspapers. Customers drove/rode their wagons, buggies, and horses from all over the surrounding area to buy at the sale prices. What the Merchantile didn't tell anyone was they raised all the prices something like 30% so the sale prices were higher than regular prices.

Blog Entries
    Well,
    I go to Walmart and buy things. They have a good selection of goods and also their gasoline is cheaper.

It does seem silly at first with the way it's worded but consider that there are a number of online vendors that have what I'll call a membership fee that among a number of potential benefits also includes free shipping no matter what size the order is. Amazon Prime is one example. StewMac (luther supplies) is another...I pay them a $39 a year fee but even if I buy a $2 item...alone...it shows up here in a few days. I order more than enough that pre-paying $39 saves me substantially over the year for what my run rate is for purchases where I would have had to pay for shipping. Whether or not these deals like Walmart, Amazon, StewMac and others offer are a good deal for someone really depends upon how much stuff one orders from them. I don't give Wally World any of my money for any reason, but Amazon Prime pays in spades for us because of the free shipping as well as other benefits, such as 5% rebates on the CC.

So when you peel back the onion from the stupid language...there's a bit more to the story. Folks who order a lot from Walmart and meet whatever the conditions are for any free shipping with the membership should come out ahead. Casual buyers...not so much. Same for the others.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The other thing is walmart shipping is free if the order is 35$ or more. So paying extra for free shipping is questionable. If you are willing to pay $90 a year for free shipping I bet most of your orders are over $35 to begin with.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by bill dufour View Post
    the other thing is walmart shipping is free if the order is 35$ or more. So paying extra for free shipping is questionable. If you are willing to pay $90 a year for free shipping i bet most of your orders are over $35 to begin with.
    Bil ld
    bingo!!! .........................................
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Speaking of sarcasm, Bert I noticed your logo, does Arizona still have the largest US Navy base? I know Nevada has some big ones.
    Bil lD

Speaking of sarcasm, Bert I noticed your logo, does Arizona still have the largest US Navy base? I know Nevada has some big ones.
    Bil lD
    Bill, if I could upvote this I would.

-Tom

Bil lD

I don't get the sarcasm, I didn't think there are any Navy Base's in AZ LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I was wrong, Nevada has the big navy bases. Arizona just has a few. Sarcastic because they are both deserts with no oceans even if they do have lots of sand.
    The navy base in Nevada is so busy they had a buried fuel pipeline from the refinery in the San Francisco bay area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Fallon

The other thing is walmart shipping is free if the order is 35$ or more. So paying extra for free shipping is questionable. If you are willing to pay $90 a year for free shipping I bet most of your orders are over $35 to begin with.
    I have Amazon Prime through a shared account. I have placed 32 orders so far this year. Exactly 50% of those orders are less than the free shipping minimum so I order a lot of small stuff because I don't have to meet a minimum for shipping. I am about to place another Amazon order that is less than the free shipping minimum.

So if shipping costs $6.00 per non free order you broke even.
    Bill D

I was wrong, Nevada has the big navy bases. Arizona just has a few. Sarcastic because they are both deserts with no oceans even if they do have lots of sand.
    The navy base in Nevada is so busy they had a buried fuel pipeline from the refinery in the San Francisco bay area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Fallon
    The "business end" of the NAVY is certainly sea-based, but they still need a lot of logistics capacity on-land. The desert southwest has a lot of advantages for that kind of thing. And these days, all of the services intermix a lot more, too. A friend's husband just got back from a year of on-land assignment in the middle east...he was in charge of the security for an entire base (on land, not on the water) and is a Navy man. Lots of Navy folks out there off the water!

Edit...I just recalled that until a few years ago, there was a Naval air station in Willow Grove a few miles down the road from here...we're about 100 miles from the ocean. There was a large research center not far from there, too.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-15-2020 at 7:40 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For the largest Navel bases read here https://www.naval-technology.com/fea...he-us-4144545/
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The Nevada bases do a lot of naval gunfire training and testing and bomb ranges for aircraft. Kinda hard to test 16" guns in built up neighborhoods. I would not want to have 2,000 pound shells flying over my house. They no longer test atomic bombs in Nevada.
    Bil lD.