Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat urine

Cat urine

Hello, I have an antique maple dresser that I received from my cousin who had a naughty kitty that apparently sprayed it often. It has been stripped, stained and polyurethaned (all oil based) however the legs/base still smell. I’ve coated the bottom as well. I wondered if I should try to shellac the bottom? Before I stained it I did rub with vinegar and water. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? This dresser was made by my great great grandfather so I’d love to be able to use it!

Thank you

You have a lady nose, that's the problem. I bet there is not a guy here who could detect any smell if he turned the
    piece upside down and and used it for a nose rest. The shellac would probably work , but I would turn it over , then
    just coat it with yellow glue. Two coats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    You have a lady nose, that's the problem. I bet there is not a guy here who could detect any smell if he turned the
    piece upside down and and used it for a nose rest. The shellac would probably work , but I would turn it over , then

I wondered that but by husband can smell it faintly. So when you say yellow glue do you mean shellac?

Blog Entries
    A google search will reveal a number of home remedies for removing cat urine smell from wood. Effectiveness varies. There are also lots of commercial products that are advertised to work, again effectiveness varies. The most effective way is to remove the affected pieces and replace with new wood. I wish you success.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Shellac might work ,but since it can't be seen I would use the glue. I said yellow glue, but even Elmers white glue will
    most likely work. Glue is a good sealer.

Shellac might work ,but since it can't be seen I would use the glue. I said yellow glue, but even Elmers white glue will
    most likely work. Glue is a good sealer.

Ok thank you. I did not know that glue was a sealer but it makes sense it would be.

Thank you but in order to maintain the antiquity I need to try to not replace wood. I am trying glue or shellac and see what happens.

If it was my heirloom, I would start by calling a professional furniture restorer or reputable antique dealer and ask their advice. Be sure to ask if they have actually used the method they are describing. Look for someone who says, "Yes, I've had to deal with that. Here's what I did."

Personally, I would not coat it in glue - even where you cannot see it. I don't mean to be abrasive or disagreeable, but in my opinion, coating it in glue will look like you jerry-rigged it. But maybe that's just me.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    If it was my heirloom, I would start by calling a professional furniture restorer or reputable antique dealer and ask their advice. Be sure to ask if they have actually used the method they are describing. Look for someone who says, "Yes, I've had to deal with that. Here's what I did."

Personally, I would not coat it in glue - even where you cannot see it. I don't mean to be abrasive or disagreeable, but in my opinion, coating it in glue will look like you jerry-rigged it. But maybe that's just me.

Fred
    Well I spoke with Zinsser and they said to just try coating the bottom edge in shellac. That appears where the odor is so it is currently drying. I’ll let you know the outcome!

I think that is a smart first attempt. On heirloom pieces, it’s nice to try things that are relatively reversible.

I'll take that bet. I've never met a woman, or man, with a more sensitive smeller than mine. I could probably smell it when I entered the room it's in.

In such situations, the thing that works best for me is Clorox Cleanup. It has to be done somewhere not in lived in space though, because it makes a toxic gas. You can't use it on wood that will be seen because it will fade the color. It really only has to be misted on until the whole surface is covered. If the first application doesn't do it, try another.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-12-2020 at 7:02 PM.

The only reversing that would need to be done is if someone nailed a transmission to it. Even museums don't put socks
    or booties on wooden feet. Even though they contact the floor that ordinary people are allowed to walk.
    Zinzer is one more thing on a long list of stuff that would work. Hope you didn't buy a gallon.

When we bought our house a previous owners cat had sprayed constantly in a closet with carpeting and particle board underneath. My wife tried everything after removing the carpet. Nothing worked.
    Her brother said to use Kilz stain blocking primer and it worked. Thank goodness.

Well it is finished. About 4 coats of shellac on bottom seems to do it!9B9859EC-F832-48FD-837A-C6FAB453ACEC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Green View Post
    Well it is finished. About 4 coats of shellac on bottom seems to do it!9B9859EC-F832-48FD-837A-C6FAB453ACEC.jpg
    Outstanding! I'm really glad you were able to save it. I envy you having such a neat family herloom!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”