Thread: Air drying in basement shop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air drying in basement shop

Hi guys,

I'm an amateur woodworker, and have always used purchased/dried wood in the past, so am new to drying my own.

I've read threads here and info elsewhere about how to ideally air dry outside - stacked/stickered/covered/wind exposure/etc.

I just took 5 walnut logs to a local sawyer. Going to cut most of it into 9/4 to eventually build a 10' long dining table. Some 5x5" as well, for legs. (I'm going to have WAY more wood than I need for this project, but the trees needed to come down!) I realize this will likely take several years to dry. I have the room INSIDE to dry this. I can probably fit most of it in a small "John Deere" type garage in the basement that is pretty much house temp. This is a small garage room, probably around 15x10'. Figured I would put a fan on the wood to help with air movement. The basement is typically very dry, so I don't think humidity from the wood will be a big problem, but I could put a dehumidifier in the room as well, if that is needed. I'm going to end seal with AnchorSeal.

Particularly at this time of year in Illinois, I don't think I would get much drying outside. Since I have the room inside, that would preclude me having to clear a level site outside, roof/cover it, etc. - and just seems a lot easier for me.

Is there any reason this is a BAD idea? I've seen other videos/examples of people doing this, but wanted to get some input from the experts here. Thanks!
    Last edited by ToddH Petty; 11-12-2020 at 10:18 PM.