Thread: Metabo HPT vs Metabo... a word of warning

Blog Entries

Metabo HPT vs Metabo... a word of warning

Hi,

I got a contract for a large pergola and decided to get a cordless rotary hammer drill for the project (~$400 to $500). I ordered it a month in advance along with all the other stuff needed for the project. Once I was on the job site I realized that I needed a different battery for this tool than I needed for my other Hitachi / Metabo tools. I had to run to Lowes to get a corded rotary hammer drill ($200). Thankfully, CPO has a good return policy and I won't lose any money.

Long story short... if you are a Hitachi person be aware of the differences before you buy something that you can't use.

There are two websites: metabo.com and metabo-hpt.com. Both are completely different companies with different tools and batteries.

Cheers,

yep. hpt is the pro-sumer type stuff from hitachi, metabo is the real deal. love my made in germany metabo grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    yep. hpt is the pro-sumer type stuff from hitachi, metabo is the real deal. love my made in germany metabo grinder.
    Same here. Ive got several Metabo (not Hitachi) tools and they are studs. Ive got a six inch electronic angle grinder that I'd almost guarantee you you could have an elephant stand on it an it wouldnt even loose a single RPM.

I sure don't understand what the marketing geniuses were thinking when they decided to do the rebrand. Just really confused the whole situation in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I sure don't understand what the marketing geniuses were thinking when they decided to do the rebrand. Just really confused the whole situation in my opinion.
    It was a purchase, not just a rebranding.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Definitely a purchase (not rebranding), but also definitely confusing when everyone is looking between the tool and the battery and saying "but it says Metabo..."

I doubt I'm the only one to make the mistake.

On a positive note, my drills and drivers have survived a ton of work. I'm very impressed with the hpt in that regard

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    It was a purchase, not just a rebranding.
    Ahh, but it's still unnecessarily confusing. Metabo HPT = Hitachi, Metabo = Metabo. I like the Hitachi air nailers I have for example, but now ordering parts is a pain and for no good reason that I can see. Lawyers I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    There are two websites: metabo.com and metabo-hpt.com. Both are completely different companies with different tools and batteries.

Cheers,
    Same parent company (HK Holdings Co.Ltd.) for HiKoki, Metabo HPT, Tanaka and Metabo which is now owned by a PE based in New York (KKR). I'd expect the quality of most if not all of their stuff to take a pretty quick nose-dive as production gets consolidated in mainland China.

Depressing to see Hitachi Koki, Tanaka and Metabo end up like this. Great brands with excellent tools once.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    Same here. The Metabo, bought in 2013, is my favorite of the four bench grinders I use the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Same parent company (HK Holdings Co.Ltd.) for HiKoki, Metabo HPT, Tanaka and Metabo which is now owned by a PE based in New York (KKR). I'd expect the quality of most if not all of their stuff to take a pretty quick nose-dive as production gets consolidated in mainland China.

Depressing to see Hitachi Koki, Tanaka and Metabo end up like this. Great brands with excellent tools once.
    Metabo is still made in Germany isn't it? Or is it being moved? I've regarded Hitachi as similar to Porter Cable prior to the purchase by B&D. Not really top shelf but plenty good enough for contractor type usage and affordable.

I ordered a Metabo 18v cordless drill from CPO not that long ago, was dismayed to see "Made in PRC" and promptly returned it to CPO. Metabo used to be similar to Miele, something like 95% of parts that went into their products were all manufactured under the same roof at their plant in Nürtingen Germany. Not so much anymore it seems.

Similarly, Hitachi Koki stuff was all originally made in Japan and all the stuff I've owned from that era was great and still running like new (sliding miter saw, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, table saw, jointer planer combination). Sadly, those manufacturing facilities have since disappeared. Definitely far nicer than the stuff of big box stores.

People want cheaper goods and companies want more profits. There's only one way to do that, reduce costs. Labor costs are the easiest to reduce.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

The rebranded Hitachi 4-1/2" side grinder is actually pretty good, especially for what it costs. I bought one of the Hitachi's some years back, in anticipation of using it too hard to put an expensive one to the use I had for it, and it still won't die. I liked it so much that I bought one with the Metabo name on it when Lowes first started selling them. They're identical.

I like my Metabo grinder too. Notice it's running in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like shopping with Acme Tools. Each tool has a spec page that lists among other things the country of origin.