Thread: Paulk Wokstation top for outfeed table

Blog Entries

Paulk Wokstation top for outfeed table

Hi all, I have seen it mentioned numerous times about the Paulk top being used for an outfeed table that will have drawers, cubbies etc. After watching most of his videos, everything seems catered to mobility and not a permanent installation (maybe I am wrong). What advantage does the Paul top give aside from allowing access to clean out under the table (assuming you have a MFT cloned top on your outfeed table.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

There are advantages to the rigid construction, the cost, and the available features of the Paulk workbench, and honestly most of the videos you see, woodworkers have made a more permanent (but typically mobile) base for it out of dimensional lumber. The sky is kind of the limit there.

My shop is 14x24 so my outfeed table is also my assembly table, bench, and track saw cutting station. I use Festool clamps to hold pieces while I sand them, for instance. I store frequently used tools, including two sanders, on the lower top so the upper top is not cluttered but the sanders are very available. I used to put my shorter track saw tracks on the lower top too but have moved all the tracks to the garage doors. Depending on what I am doing, I may have clamps in there or planes or other hand tools. This table has an upper and lower top made of 3/4 plywood separated by 8 inches. The upper top has 20mm holes on 4 inch centers. Below the lower top are legs and a shelf above the 6 locking casters that permit it to be moved. I am still modifying the area between the lower shelf and the bottom of the top. I have a shelf for my track saw, one for my domino, a drawer below that for track saw and domino accessories, a drawer for dogs and clamps that work with the holes in the top, and a leg vise on one corner. On the back side I have a shelf for my dovetail jig above a jig I use when making domino drawers. There is a also a significant amount of less organized tools and other stuff.

Ron Paulk builds his stuff to move to worksites because that is what he does. I build his work surfaces to use in my shop because that is what I do. I have another Paulk style worksurface on the left side of my cross cutting bench. It has his style flip stops which work very well but leave the top surface flat.

All you need to do is to put legs on or put the holey top on a cabinet to create a shop bound work surface instead of a portable one.