Thread: What to do with leftover cutting board oil? Rust Prevention?

What to do with leftover cutting board oil? Rust Prevention?

My entire family and all 1 of my friends is getting cutting boards as gifts this year. Which is a lot of cutting boards. Which called for 3 gallons of mineral oil. I figure I'll have a gallon of left over drips. What to do with this? Coincidentally, rust is a major problem in my shop. I have a non-HVAC building in a very very very very very very wet and humid area (mtn's of east TN). When I use my floor tools that have cast iron beds, which is all of them, I use them all day long. If I'm doing paste wax, that means an hour every night re-waxing whatever 200 feet of wood wore off. Lately I've been using Camilla oil, but that stuffs expensive, but it prevents rust. Some of you will want to convince me to stick to the wax, but carpal tunnel makes applying it and buffing it a very unpleasant task. I'll do anything but wax. Anybody use mineral oil as a rust preventative? Otherwise I have to fill out a ton of paperwork and pay 50$ to get rid of the leftover, apparently the state considers it as hazardous as asbestos....

Add it too melted bees wax. Jar it, and give everyone a jar or 3 to freshen up their cutting boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    Add it too melted bees wax. Jar it, and give everyone a jar or 3 to freshen up their cutting boards.
    I think we have the winner. Beeswax with food grade mineral oil is also a great finish for kids wooden toys.

+1 on Richard’s suggestion. Cutting boards will need to be re-oiled fairly regularly. Include a jar with each board.

Got curious myself...

From: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...r-woodworkers/

No one rust prevention coating will work for all situations. A thin film of a non-oxidizing oil (mineral oil, 3-in-1 oil (mineral oil), Starrett precision tool oil (mineral oil) , or Norton's special honing fluid (mineral oil)) is an excellent rust inhibitor.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    Add it too melted bees wax. Jar it, and give everyone a jar to freshen up their cutting boards.
    That's what I do. It's always been appreciated.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.