Thread: Bench Mandrels - For Wire Brushing and Sanding Mop

Bench Mandrels - For Wire Brushing and Sanding Mop

Has anyone here made their own setup for wire brushing their clamps and etc as well as using the other end of a bench style mandrel as a sanding mop type setup? I seem to remember that my granddad had a bench mandrel setup that he used for grinding and sharpening various tools around the farm. It would need to be fairly heavy duty since I seem to really put my tools through their paces.

Thoughts and ideas?
    Oh....and it would need to be a low/slow speed....so a stepped pulley setup would be an added benefit??
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I bought a Bench Mandrel from Grizzly years ago. I have a brass brush on one end, buffing wheel on the other. 2 X 4 frame, motor off an old furnace blower. I don't remember paying anywhere near $52.95 for mine, some shopping would be in order.

Edit: I may have bought this one. Bronze bearings are fine for my limited use.

I feel the more expensive "ball bearing" mandrel would be the better choice.

I would like the ball bearing mandrel as well. I have a tendency to really put tools to the test.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I would like the ball bearing mandrel as well. I have a tendency to really put tools to the test.

Oil lite bushings have been around since the beginning of the home machine age. For this application, they are more than adequate. As an example, on our recently removed furnace, the fan ran 24/7/365 for over 39 years. Only time it was stopped was for servicing, or power outages. Oiled twice a year. Still have blower, which will be repurposed for something else. This fan ran for over 330,000 hours on oil lite bushings, all of which were under a load. How many hours you going to use your mandrel?