Thread: Stanley Planes Nickers/Spurs Interchangeable?

Stanley Planes Nickers/Spurs Interchangeable?

I see more nickers/spurs, of the cloverleaf type, for Stanley 78s than for 45s.

My question is do you have to find nickers/spurs that are specifically from the 45, or will a spur from a 78, 55, etc. fit the 45 just fine also?

I would have thought that Stanley would have used exactly the same nickers for all of the planes that used the clover leaf type of nickers, which would have kept the cost of manufacturing and inventory down.

Thus, are the nickers from the different Stanley planes identical and interchangeable? I have an old 45 and also a 55 and do have one set of nickers/screws, but would like to have a spare nicker and the corresponding mounting machine screw for each plane. I don't have a 78 so can't do a comparison. The nickers from the 78s are reasonably priced and more available, so getting a set won't be a problem.

This information may be common knowledge, but I don't have a clue. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-10-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Blanket Chest, day 5, spur set.JPG
    Biggest difference is in the length of the bolt....same nicker, just the 78 uses a longer bolt.

Blog Entries
    My question is do you have to find nickers/spurs that are specifically from the 45, or will a spur from a 78, 55, etc. fit the 45 just fine also?
    Fortunately Steven was able to answer your basic question. To the best of my recollection my Record #778 has the same knicker as the #45.

The early #55s had a straight knicker. The #46 also used strait knickers but were different than the ones used on the early #55. They also had two types of spurs during their life span.

The #50 has a knicker that is like the clover leaf spur but only has one leaf.

This could really spur a conversation among a group of dado & plow plane collectors.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)