Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windsor chair making. Best to take a class first?

Windsor chair making. Best to take a class first?

Hello everyone!

I would like to attempt to make a windsor chair in the not so distant future. I am intimidated though, I wont lie. There are a lot of angles and parts to fit.

I have been reading books and watching videos on the process, so i have an idea of the amount of effort, skill, and time this will take.

To those with more knowledge and experience than me, would taking a class on building one of these be a better idea than trying to tackle one on my own? I am looking to build a sack back windsor.

If you can swing it, take a class first.

Should you want to give it a try on your own, Curtis Buchanan’s videos provide great step by step instructions and Pete Galbert’s book, Chairmaker’s Notebook, provides a great deal of guidance about his magic. They are excellent instructors and great people, so their class offerings fill up in an instant.

As an entry point to chair making, Curtis recently released plans and videos for his Democratic Chair which is accessible in many ways in that it can be built with minimal investment in tools and doesn’t require much in the way of turning legs/stretchers or steam bending bows or rails.

If you decide to take a class, you’ll be certain to end up with a great chair. Additionally, most Windsor chair instructors provide all necessary tools during the class, so you’ll not only gain insight into all of the skills, but also (and more importantly) the tools that you may want to acquire should you decide to build chairs on your own.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Mich; 11-10-2020 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Jason, I sent you an email thru SMC. Taking a class with the Covid situation probably is not possible. Pete Galbert is immunocompromised and isn’t doing in person classes and I believe most of the better teachers are not either. Brian Cunfer has a class scheduled at John C Campbell Folk School in late May next year and that would be an option. I believe it is for a loop back.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Greg Pennington is offering classes again. He is near Nashville. He has all the tools you will need and is excellent. Elia Bizzarri and Curtis Buchanan have a multipart webinar ongoing right now. He even sold the wood needed for the class and shipped to students. Follow Elia's blog or follow him on Instagram to see when/if he is offering another class. You will need your own tools for in-home classes. Elia makes and sells reasonably priced tools for chair making. As Peter said, Curtis Buchanan youtube videos are excellent.

Classes are great - mainly because they support some of the great teachers who give their info away for free online.

But, they are not totally necessary; they will make it faster for you though, as you'll be saved from your own mistakes.

I haven't taken a class and it's been fine.

I highly recommend Curtiss Buchanan's and Mike Dunbar's series on 'Tube. You can also purchase plans from Buchanan for most of his chairs.

I recommend you start with Buchanan's "Democratic Chair". It teaches the basic concepts of construction without complicating with large bends or complex lathe work. He does everything with the drawknife, though. While that will make you a Ninja with this important tool, you can certainly use other more modern techniques and tools to bore and shape.

I also recommend Peter Galbert's blog and the few videos he posts. He is a master at modernizing the techniques such as drilling at odd angles.

I often think Buchanan is to Lie Nielsen as Galbert is to Veritas (if that makes any sense...)

I think attempting to do this without a class will inform your class experience if you ultimately decide you need one. Having not taken a class, I can see now that I'd be much better served now taking a class in a particular technique (such as turning stretcher and leg details with a skew chisel). A lot of the basic things like bending wood are easily learned from videos, and I think my class time would be wasted on that.

Last, if you decide to go it alone, I suggest you start a build thread here and you'll get some pretty personalized and advanced responses from the likes of John K...
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-11-2020 at 9:57 AM.

I seem to recall an episode on The New Yankee Workshop ( long ago) where Norm learned how to make such a chair,,,,

Thank you everyone for the replies. I had not heard of curtis Buchanan before, but i looked him up and i think, as suggested, the democratic chair would be a good place to start. I actually bought his plans, but I am having trouble opening the PDF. I will have to figure that out on my end though. I will have to watch a video on his chair when i get home.

I had watched the entire series of Mike Dunbar on building Windsors, and that is what fueled my curiosity.

I think I will start with the simpler design of the democratic chair and see where that takes me.

One thing I will say:

Many people are tempted to use kiln dried stock because riven or green wood is not something people are used to getting or working with. It's alluring to want to get into the shaping and drilling. But take the time to source your stock and select your pieces as they prescribe; it's a deceptively critical step. That will make you a better woodworker in general anyway.

Oh yeah, the other nice thing about the Democratic chair is that Buchanan designed it specifically with new makers in mind. It is designed to be built with a minimal number of specialty tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    One thing I will say:

Many people are tempted to use kiln dried stock because riven or green wood is not something people are used to getting or working with. It's alluring to want to get into the shaping and drilling. But take the time to source your stock and select your pieces as they prescribe; it's a deceptively critical step. That will make you a better woodworker in general anyway.

Oh yeah, the other nice thing about the Democratic chair is that Buchanan designed it specifically with new makers in mind. It is designed to be built with a minimal number of specialty tools.
    I see this being my biggest issue. Most of my lumber comes from the big box stores because its easily accessible. You would think living in WI would be easy to source wood, but i cant just venture out to the forest and start hacking down trees, and unfortunately the only 2 pieces of land i have access to have popple and white pine, and the popple are the only ones i would be able to cut. I do not have access to oak or maple, or know of a sawmill locally that I can go to.

You can order it. Elia bizarri (another awesome teacher) sells billets. There are other sources on the web. You can also check with your local hard wood dealer. They may sell you a log. But going with Elia , et al, means you will get good quality stock without waste.

May I suggest a PM to our own Derek Cohen "In the woodshop". If there's a pitfall to lookout for, he'll be an excellent guide.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/

Taking a class can be a great experience of being able to talk to an expert and other students. I took a class to learn to make a Maloof style rocker and it was a great experience along with learning to build a chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    One thing I will say:

I'm not ready to try a Windsor yet, but there's still a lot of good "chair info" in this post and the one earlier. And I would have gone after kiln dried stock exactly for the reasons you stated. Thank you Prashun!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

One caveat with using riven maple stock for the legs, stretchers and arm supports - if you turn or shape these elements while green, be sure to leave excess diameter in the portions that will become tapered tenons. When the tenons are super dried in the kiln they will shrink and become oblong in cross section. You will need uniform tenons to get good joinery and those tenons are best formed on the super dry end of the stock just prior to assembly. Shrinkage in the turned portion of the legs, etc., is not noticeable and not an issue, but it is in the tenons.

Left click my name for homepage link.

There's Zabels in New London, Thomas Wiedemeier in Porterfield, and quite a few more saw mills in a quick google search and a whole bunch of lumber companies. You should have more ready access than I do in Tucson.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut