Thread: Another Rob Cosman plane review sans Veritas?

Another Rob Cosman plane review sans Veritas?

This more recent review by Rob Cosman featured block planes and again, Veritas was absent in the roundup. It would be interesting to know why?

Given the history of RC "consulting" in direct competition with a supplier, I would be hesitant to send him anything for review.

Might send a few planes over to Rex Krueger?
    Ones I prefer?
    Stanley Block planes, 3 amigos.JPG
    Just keep them sharp, and carry on....

I ignore reviews on YouTube and other Internet sites. The reason being that 90+% of them have a connection ($$$) to the product they’re reviewing. I prefer my own hands-on reviews or those from other users on forums like this. One of the many reasons I buy mostly LN or LV products is their no questions asked return policy. In other words, if you buy it and don’t like it, return it for a full, postage paid refund. The good news is I’ve never needed to take advantage of that policy.

I always try to attend LN’s local hand tool events so I can try out their products. As a result I’ve bought some that I wouldn’t have otherwise considered and didn’t buy others that I was sure I was going to like.

I rely on YouTube to learn about techniques and the nuances of tools, such as Deneb Pulchalski’s numerous videos about LN products. He never compares them to competitors, but simply explains how best to use each one. I found the scraping plane videos especially helpful when learning how to use them.

I have one of those new Stanley SW block planes. Mine can be set for a very tight mouth and slop is not something I've noticed. I works well for me when I need to plane end grain, I don't use it for much else, it's a heavy little beast. The one in the video seems like a defective one.

On a side note, I think the A2 blade that came with this plane chips too easily. Is there a replacement iron in the market for these planes?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    I have one of those new Stanley SW block planes. Mine can be set for a very tight mouth and slop is not something I've noticed. I works well for me when I need to plane end grain, I don't use it for much else, it's a heavy little beast. The one in the video seems like a defective one.

On a side note, I think the A2 blade that came with this plane chips too easily. Is there a replacement iron in the market for these planes?
    Rafael, It may be better to start a new post on this.

A quick look indicates others are having trouble finding this part.

One suggestion > https://www.toolservicenet.com/dewal...T+BLADE+12-143 < Stanley used to be great at spare parts. They now seem to not care.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    I ignore reviews on YouTube and other Internet sites. The reason being that 90+% of them have a connection ($$$) to the product they’re reviewing. I prefer my own hands-on reviews or those from other users on forums like this. One of the many reasons I buy mostly LN or LV products is their no questions asked return policy. In other words, if you buy it and don’t like it, return it for a full, postage paid refund. The good news is I’ve never needed to take advantage of that policy.

I always try to attend LN’s local hand tool events so I can try out their products. As a result I’ve bought some that I wouldn’t have otherwise considered and didn’t buy others that I was sure I was going to like.

I rely on YouTube to learn about techniques and the nuances of tools, such as Deneb Pulchalski’s numerous videos about LN products. He never compares them to competitors, but simply explains how best to use each one. I found the scraping plane videos especially helpful when learning how to use them.
    Your right, always consider the source! And I also totally agree that when a company makes a great product and backs it up with a no risk return policy, that’s the one to use....as long as your current financial situation allows at least. It’s a shame that when you are young and have a lifetime to spread the cost of a premium product over, you lack the cash to make it happen.