Thread: need solenoid for atc

need solenoid for atc

The solenoid that came with my atc spindle has a small leak. I want to replace it but I know nothing about them so not sure of which one to buy to replace if I can't locate the same one. Anyone know where I can find this one and if not can anyone help me figure out what replacement will work?
    a.jpegb.jpeg

It appears the 5V series has been replaced with the 6V series. I would reach out to Airtac for verification. Here is a link showing it.
    https://us-en.airtac.com/upload/6V+3...0144548256.PDF

Porting is the same on the 210 model. I believe the orientation is correct as well. Worst case scenario is lines would have to be flip flopped. The coil appears to be listed as extended duty which should be the same as continuous duty. Hope this helps. Air is like hydraulics except much lower pressures. There are probably be other brands that would interchange but from my quick search you would have to alter the connection to a different type. Why make it harder if it's not necessary? It's probably to late if not but do you run any type lube oil in the air system for this?

There are places like discountairvalves.com which are airtac distributors and should just be able to get it for you.

Airtac also has a us sales operation if you need.
    Otherwise, these are dead standard valves, and if you give any reasonable air part distributor the picture on the side, they'll get you something that will work.

Dead standard with electrical connection differences. This is where I make my living. An identical replacement is the first choice. ALWAYS! Here is there US office contact info.

https://us-en.airtac.com/us.aspx?c_k...u=Houston#tttt

Thanks for the responses. I will contact them. It is a slow leak out of one of the diffusers. No I haven't ran oil as I had heard not to run it with an atc spindle. This just started leaking the other day.

That explains why I could not locate a 5v anywhere.

Yeah they apparently have superseded the 5V with the 6V. They don't list the 5V in their catalog. You probably shouldn't need lube oil. Valve construction should be able to run "dry" air. These appear to be relatively inexpensive. Maybe pick up a spare? Just a thought. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I will contact them. It is a slow leak out of one of the diffusers. No I haven't ran oil as I had heard not to run it with an atc spindle. This just started leaking the other day.

That explains why I could not locate a 5v anywhere.
    Hey Bobby,

5V210-08 is the Model Number for the valve, not the operating voltage for the solenoid. I have the same valve/solenoid as you do. It is connected to +24V DC on the VFD.
    The nominal rated voltage is 24V DC. The operating voltage range is 21.6V DC to 26.4V DC.

20201110_220736_resized.jpg

I am using a similar solenoid/valve for my ATC rack, purchased on Amazon. The new ones are a different color - I bought mine in early 2020.

20201110_221201_resized.jpg 20201110_221206_resized.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    24V solenoid valve.jpg

You should be able to unscrew your air line fittings and mufflers (diffusers) from your leaking unit and reinstall these parts into the new solenoid/valve. These are typically 1/4" NPT thread. Be sure to apply some teflon tape or teflon sealer to the threads when reinstalling.

Your solenoid valve may also be sticking due to lack of lubrication. Here is an article that explains how to take it apart to clean/lubricate/repair it.
    https://www.frightprops.com/faq/post...ky-valves.html

David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 11-11-2020 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks David. I did think that the 5v was the voltage. I've had a little family issue that came up that I am working thru so haven't really felt like working in the garage for the last few weeks. When I do I need to get with you and check on your ATC rack as I think I need to move that direction. Mine hasn't held up that well. Thanks for the info.

What kind of filter system do you have on the output of your air supply? The leak might be as simple as a tiny piece of crud inside on a seat that is not sealing. You might check that out. Yes its just a standard air valve 24 vdc as the label says. and I have found Amazon to have access to a lot of stuff or eBay.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Dead standard with electrical connection differences. This is where I make my living. An identical replacement is the first choice. ALWAYS! Here is there US office contact info.

https://us-en.airtac.com/us.aspx?c_k...u=Houston#tttt
    Ronald - what do you do for a living? Just curious.
    David

Heavy equipment mechanic. So a composite mechanic. Hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, and mechanical (engines, pump drives, etc.). Specialized for the rail industry and some is the same as you see on construction projects. Some equipment from the 70's and some new this year. Lately myself and a fellow mechanic of us have been going around installing GPS tracking/performance monitors. The newest ones are tied into the machine computers and you can look at fault codes remotely. Unfortunately we can't fix them remotely but it gives great insight into what's happening. One of our latest generations of machine will allow the factory to remote in and view what's happening. Whether they will be able to correct a problem yet is unclear. However this technology while promised hasn't been given to me to install yet. Our newest Caterpillar equipment has had the remote monitoring for the last 3-4 years. Technology is a great thing and it's constantly changing. I intend to pass the baton next summer to someone else. I've abused my body for long enough.