Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rob Cosman and Veritas Handplanes?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    I think it's bunk. If 4s were made for kids, and 4 1/2s made for adults, then why are there so few 4 1/2s? I mean once all the schools had an army of 4s, there would not need to be anymore produced. Ergo, there would be 10 4 1/2s to every 4 you see in the wild.

In actuality, you see 100 4s before you see a single 4 1/2. Perhaps all the 150# adults with medium to large hands loved them so much that they were buried with them when they passed. (that's Cosman logic there).
    In the violin making world, using a larger plane than necessary is akin to driving brads with a sledge hammer. You size the tool to the job at hand.

If Cosman is only familiar with planing construction lumber, he wouldn't understand this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    There was a link to a youtube video posted where he claims the number 4 was a elementary school kids tool. And the 4-1/2 is a mans tool.

But normally yes, he pushes the 5-1/2
    Wouldn't the same users of the bigger smoother and jack want a larger jointer like a #8?

It doesn't look like Woodriver makes a #8.

My #5-1/2 doesn't see as much use as my #6.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I do not need multi planes.
    Here is a sample of what is available nearby.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lowe...hrome&ie=UTF-8

None of those are hand tools, or the ones that are... generally aren't worth the effort to try and make work.. then there's the lack of joinery tools
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I do not need multi planes.
    Here is a sample of what is available nearby.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lowe...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    The first few links were for power planers. Finally found this:

Planes at Lowes.png

It is unlikely any of those would be my choice over an old Stanley.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    When I need a tool, I go to the big box store, fondle the tools, and buy the one that pleases me.
    Lowell, if I remember right, weren't you a homebuilder Sir? When you suggested the big box store, were you thinking of homebuilding or furniture making? (Or were you just teasing to rile us up? )
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

All marketing. You wouldn’t want to compete with a #4. If the 41/2 was better the people that used them everyday would have used them. A bit like 8 ft. Pickups replacing 6 ft. Bed pickups. Now if you have a 6 ft. It’s a cool thing, “sport truck”. Didn’t go that way for the 4 1/2.

Blog Entries
    I was a builder, I have not built a house in many years. I was gifted 20 lots in a local subdivision by my father-in-law that I built out.
    I am 10 minutes from a Lowes and a Home Depot. They both have lumber and building supplies. There are three lumber yards within 30 minutes of my house. If I need a tool, I just go get one.

I'm tired of cleaning up old tools, I wood try one of those if I couldn't find an old Stanley all cleaned up for me.