Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rob Cosman and Veritas Handplanes?

Personally, I think a wider iron is just a wider iron. You're either going to make more passes, or have more resistance per pass. Your choice. To me, it's a horse a piece.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I did not see where he made a convincing argument where the 4-1/2 is better than the 4. Instead there was a baseless claim trying to appeal to bravado and manliness than actual function. If you are still using a number 4 you are either adolescent or less of a man is what he made it sound like.

He did a good job highlighting the feature differences between the 2, but did not explain why these features are superior. I am assuming that a wider iron would be an advantage when working larger panels. Thicker castings are a plus, and extra weight can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you are doing.

I guess i am disappointed that a man with as much experience and knowledge as him did not go more in depth how the 4-1/2 would be a useful addition to my tool kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Personally, I think a wider iron is just a wider iron. You're either going to make more passes, or have more resistance per pass. Your choice. To me, it's a horse a piece.
    My #4-1/2 usually comes out when smoothing a board slightly wider than 2".

Many people get along fine with a smoother, jack and jointer. My #4-1/2 could possibly be the plane most likely to be replaced in my kit. (Anyone wanting to sell their type 13 or earlier Stanley/Bailey #4-1/2 in order to buy a new Woodriver #4-1/2 send me a PM with the information and a reasonable price.)

If Cosman was telling everyone a #4 was the Bee's Knees a lot of listeners would likely go out and buy something on the used market. Finding a #4-1/2 in the used market is no where near as easy.

My finding a #4-1/2 in an antique mall during a time of a lot of driving up and down the west coast was a lucky find. It may have also been a curse. The sole is thin and it has been a finicky plane at times. At least the wood and hardware is worth more than what was paid for the plane at the time.

What about planes smaller than the #4? Are they all only for children?

Often a smaller plane is the right plane for 'delicate' work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

What about planes smaller than the #4? Are they all only for children?

jtk
    I wish I would have been given a no 1 to play with in kindergarten. I could have smoothed out my desk.

Finding a #4-1/2 in the used market is no where near as easy.
    Pretty much exactly why I don't possess one If I ran into one at a reasonable cost, I'd likely pick it up. But, I'd pick up another jack first.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Cosman is likely making as much money selling as he is teaching.

Money can do a lot to mold a person's opinion.

jtk
    While we revere the bright lights guiding us in our hobby, few of them make a decent living. The only woodworkers making real money are Union trimmers for construction jobs. Cabinet shops are production zones where time lost means payroll is in jeopardy.

It's a *very* tough business.

Cosman does not tell everyone to purchase a #4 1/2; he tells everyone to purchase a #5 1/2.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you need someone to tell you what plane you need you don't need it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    If you need someone to tell you what plane you need you don't need it.
    A good thought for many instances. Though sometimes a person might want to know advantages of one plane over another. Maybe they want to know the best plane for plowing grooves in drawer sides for installing the bottom. My opinion has changed on this over the years. At one time a Stanley #45 seemed to be the only plow plane one would need. Since then a #50 has come into my shop and the advantages of a smaller plow plane became known.

There really isn't a best smoother for everyone. Just like there isn't a best jointer for everyone.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I was a bit confused by the conversation as well, Derek. Maybe I missed the video, but he seems to push a 5 1/2 as the end all plane size.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I was a bit confused by the conversation as well, Derek. Maybe I missed the video, but he seems to push a 5 1/2 as the end all plane size.
    You're not really the only one. I just counted it as a complaint about a bit of sales pitch stuck into otherwise free media (ie, a commercial break).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

A good thought for many instances. Though sometimes a person might want to know advantages of one plane over another. Maybe they want to know the best plane for plowing grooves in drawer sides for installing the bottom. My opinion has changed on this over the years. At one time a Stanley #45 seemed to be the only plow plane one would need. Since then a

There really isn't a best smoother for everyone. Just like there isn't a best jointer for everyone.

jtk
    Here you stated that " a #50 has come into my shop and the advantages of a smaller plow plane became known."
    That statement tells me that you figured out the advantages yourself. That you understand the function and requirements and have the knowledge and experience to make judgements yourself.

Whereas when you watch a YouTube Guru pushing a product, they can convince you that whatever one they are getting paid to push is the best.
    They will do slick demonstrations to "Prove" it. Leaving the adoring crowds suitably impressed. Upon scrutiny it becomes obvious that their testing methods are biased and dishonest, either through ignorance or design.
    Of course no one believes that they are gullible enough to fall for that stuff. yet it is quite obvious that they do.

Blog Entries
    When I need a tool, I go to the big box store, fondle the tools, and buy the one that pleases me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    When I need a tool, I go to the big box store, fondle the tools, and buy the one that pleases me.
    Have you found any Multi-Planes at the big box stores?

How about a decent jointer plane? Any decent bench planes?

Here you stated that " a #50 has come into my shop and the advantages of a smaller plow plane became known."
    That statement tells me that you figured out the advantages yourself. That you understand the function and requirements and have the knowledge and experience to make judgements yourself.
    True, but it didn't happen until one was found in an antique store for a price that was hard to refuse. A newcomer to woodworking wouldn't be able to understand unless they have a friend or mentor at hand.

Another option for newbies is to ask on a forum like this possibly being given a link to an old post like > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251419

Besides, it is a fun pastime to spend other people's money.

jtk

I have a Veritas low angle jack plane; I see Woodriver has a low angle jack offering on the Woodcraft site, but I don't see the low angle listed on Cosman's site. I'm assuming Woodcrafts pricing is in U.S dollars; based on that, the Woodriver doesn't appear to be any cheaper than the Lee Valley Veritas.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    There was a link to a youtube video posted where he claims the number 4 was a elementary school kids tool. And the 4-1/2 is a mans tool.

But normally yes, he pushes the 5-1/2