Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

9 Nov 2020

Greetings,
    I spent some time cleaning up the garden, pulling up my pepper plants that were on their way out, and helped the LOML with yard work. Also burned up all the old firewood pile, burned up all the yellow jacket nests found in the pile and cleaned up the yard behind the shop. Took Saturday and cut down a Mulberry tree that was growing close to the shop that was getting close to cracking the slab. Cut it down and cut up all the tree. Stacked it after cutting it up and saved a few pieces for later lathe work. Got the bench leg layout done and will be cutting them out this week.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Not much shop time for me last week; the weather here was glorious so I worked outside most of the week. Then my wife and I rented a cabin on Lake Cumberland KY for the weekend. It was someplace we could go to get away for a short while while staying covid safe. The weather was absolutely perfect and there were very few people there. The cabin had a full kitchen so we didn't even have to deal with restaurants, although we did get one dinner as take out from the lodge restaurant. A long drive down and back, but we were able to take the dog and do a lot of hiking and chilling, so it felt like a real break. Neither one of us took a computer; that really helped make it feel like a break (although we did have our tablets....)

I did do some more work on desk plans, getting started on working drawings for the shop. I have a rough take off so I can inventory how much cherry I have on hand and make a run to the lumberyard to pick up whatever else I need before the weather gets bad here.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Great weather here as well, so DH and I tackled mowing the yard one more time. It took extra time, as we wanted to bag all the leaves and clippings, but it looks great and we're ready whenever winter arrives. Also got some time in the shop both mornings to continue prep for the arrival of the A3-31. Finished the repainting of a few wall areas necessitated by rearranging cabinets. Electrician pulled the new circuit last week, so that's ready too. My dust collection pipe and fittings are arriving today, so that's next on the agenda. Also have a couple of minor woodworking tasks my sister wants, so I'll do those this week.

Sounds like you got some quality time "on the ranch", Dennis...which is always a nice break from the day job I'm sure.

The great weather we've been having has kinda influenced a lot of what I've been doing ... so not a whole lot of time in the shop, although I did put some time in on a valet box for a client and some time on a chair and table project. I also had a 'Creeker Visit from Prashun on Saturday and we had a great conversation about a whole bunch of things. He actually lives a lot closer than I realized so I expect there will be repeat episodes. Also got a call from a client that's been pretty slident over the past few months...he's been working 18 hour days because his company sells a lot of PPE, but is finally getting some time to get back to his resin inlay work which means more things need to be cut.

Other than that...it was landscaping tasks, some home repair work and more installation of gutter guards....I only have about 100' left to get up, but need the taller ladder to do the remaining work safely. So I have to unbury it in the upstairs of my shop building at first opportunity.

More of the same this week, although with substantial rain predicted for Wednesday into Thursday, I'll be back in the shop doing what needs doing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Raked a lot of pine straw which came down with last tropical depression that came thru. Picked up and burnt a pile of small limbs and pine cones The pile was the size of a small car. Thursday cooked a 22# turkey, that I bought last year at Thanksgiving when they were on sale. Normally we would have carried turkey to November senior luncheon, which because of Covid didn't happen. $0.38 cent a pound turkey tastes a lot better than $1.69 a pound turkey Took turkey to widows in our SS group, and daughter and grandson. Bought a 6" bench grinder to make paper wheel sharpener. Replaced bearings in grinder, and turned it around on base so switch faces forward, and wheel rotate away from me. Used MDF for the wheels. Built three jigs so I can duplicate the wheels in future. Got wheels installed and trued, along with coating one with silicon carbide and the other with white polishing compound. Sharpened a bunch of knives. Gave dog, and her bedding a needed bath. Made usual biscuits on Sunday morning, plus a sweet potato pie.