Thread: Sublimation on metal plaques / fumes

Sublimation on metal plaques / fumes

Hi All

I have recently started doing a lot of sublimation/heat press on to metal plaques.
    My colleague and myself have noticed the fumes are pretty harsh and we often get head aches after printing.

Has anyone else experienced this ? or has anyone got any advice to minimize fumes - we are in a large well ventilated area and we do not sublimate very often so we are not too concerned.

We use Dynasub with TSA 4959 tape on the back.

Any advice would be much appreciated ?

Pat

It sounds like you're applying tape before pressing. If so, wait until the plates cool to apply tape.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Who's Inks are you using? Sawgrass ?? ink, Toner?? What Temperature.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Thanks Mark and Mike

We have a SawGrass 800 and are using SubliJet-HD inks. Currently we are pressing at 190 degrees celsius (374F) for 60 seconds onto DynaSub with the adhesive mentioned above attached. The adhesive is facing down away from the element. We use a George Knght DC16

Any info you can give would be a great help.

I would cut the temp to about 350F and the time to about 35-40 seconds with medium to light pressure. Why are you applying tape before you press?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Pat,

I agree with Mike you never use tape on any project you intend to put in a heat press until the sublimation is complete and the project has cooled to room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I would cut the temp to about 350F and the time to about 35-40 seconds with medium to light pressure. Why are you applying tape before you press?
    The tape you are talking about is the Heat Tape to secure the image to the metal... correct? Not the adhesive to the board..

I have the same problem with the fumes when I run a job of 10 sheets + I believe the Metal Coating... polyester or "Dura Coat" is the culprit.

Just needs ventilation. I've run several different makers and they all have the same fume problem when large jobs are involved.

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Conde recommends using spray adhesive for temporarily bonding the image to metal.