Thread: Need to level Spirit pro laser table

Need to level Spirit pro laser table

How's the best way to level the table on the spirit pro? The belt jump a tooth when it over ran the stop switch and bottom out when it sensed a fire, there was no fire...so this is now disabled. I loosened the belt and played with trying to get it back level without much luck. I'm thinking that I'll need to loosen the belt again and manually turn each screw. Would a travel dial indicator mounted to the laser head moved to the 4 corners? Or am I over thinking this, and there is a better and easier way to do it?

If you lower the laser head very close to the table you can use a feeler gage to check the distance.

not a lot of machines are capable of lowering the head that close. I have several 'focus gauges' that are just pieces of 1/4" thick plex, wood, Cintra and whatever else is handy that I cut to 1/2" wide strips x the focus length of the different lenses. I just use the 2" one to check my tables for level; focus to one corner, then check the other 3 corners. To adjust, I just loosen the set screw on the belt cog at the corner that needs adjusting, grab a rag, then turn the table's drive screw by hand to correct, then tighten the screw. No need to loosen the belt at all, just the set screw on the cog...

Because moving one corner can affect the other three, it may take a couple of trips around the four corners to get it nice & level
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The drive cogs are threaded internally for the table screw. So it looks as if I will need loosen the belt to set the four corners using a gage block off the head. I must not been in too big of a rush the first time I tried to set it. I'm just starting to learn more about the machine. I laser anodize parts I make for my customers, and it has been frustrating to say the least to learn the machine and have nice looking parts.
    I will be asking more questions on the forum about interfacing from CAD to Corel Draw to the laser.
    Thanks, Randy