Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hickory top - farmhouse table

I also love hickory and making tables. Few pieces of furniture are used or appreciated as much. Yours looks lovely, the drawer handle is my only reservation. A hickory drawer pull would match far better.
    Getting blades sharpened is a huge saving but you have to buy better saw blades with enough carbide that can be sharpened. My favourite table saw blade has been sharpened 4 times, apparently I have one sharpening left.
    Hand planes have the huge benefit of on the spot sharpening and work very well.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments William!

I had two suggestions that the customer did not accept...

1) I wanted to use tinted green stain on the base to achieve a translucent effect which would have shown some interesting grain in my opinion. Here's a pic of the base before paint to show you what I mean

2) I agree with you that a shop-made drawer pull would have been really nice

Alas, I have to remind myself that this is not my table... I'm just its builder :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Good looking table. It is best to change out blade when they get the least bit dull.
    Charlie Jones

That looks really great. And yes, Hickory is really rough to work with. I build a bedroom set out of Hickory and had to send my table saw blade out twice for sharpening, replace the blades on my planer and nicked a few of the blades on my jointer's spiral cutter. But, in the end, it is wonderful rustic looking wood, pending the pieces you get.

That table will be indestructible...