Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan leg walnut and teak stool

Blog Entries

fan leg walnut and teak stool

I found a picture of a stool on the interwebs that I liked, so I reverse engineered my own iteration. Walnut top with teak fan legs, finished in ultra blond shellac sprayed on with a fuji HVLP, and finally satin polished. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

IMG_2076.jpgIMG_2077.jpgIMG_2074.jpgIMG_2072.jpg

That's a very kewel design idea!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quite a unique attractive stool...did you resaw the teak?

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I had some 10/4 teak stock kicking around. The legs are 1/8” strips laminated together at the bottom.

I've never seen fan legs before. They look good on that stool. The finish, combined with the rounded top edge are icing on the cake - it looks "touchable".
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I like the fan leg idea.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I certainly can’t take credit for the design, it’s adapted from an Instagram user &will_woodcraft, Japanese builder I believe. Honestly spraying shellac has changed my life, it’s so easy and gives just a beautiful finish.

Justin,
    Clever concept, beautifully executed. The "fan legs" are a new concept to me and have immediately been added to my design vocabulary. I REALLY like those fans!

thank you for posting-Bill

Very clever and attractive. Is it an end table? What are the dimensions. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

That is quite something , I confess I had trouble counting the legs. Not gonna give my number ...but would like to know
    if you got it right....! It has masculine strength and feminine detail, and harmony between them. Bet it can really throw
    some good shadows.

That's really neat. Congratulations.

How did you cut the grooves in the top for the strips?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-10-2020 at 10:54 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    The top is 12” x 12” and 1.75” thick. The strips for the legs taper from 2” to 1 1/8” and are 9 1/8” thick strips. The height is 15” I believe. It’s actually a stool for my wife to use in the closet. All of my best pieces seem to end up in the closet where no one sees them. Haha

Blog Entries
    For the grooves I cut the top at 12x12, and drew my lines to make all the sides equal length. Then with the square top I marked the 9 1/8” grooves on one of the 4 leg sections and set up a little jig so that I could rotate the top with the same stop settings and then flip it over to mirror left to right. 0EBE6AF8-EEC8-420C-AE9C-49BC9F982F46.jpg3D6C0574-96EA-4C43-974E-7DF9897B7EFE.jpg

Thanks for posting your well executed project. The finish is terrific as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Justin, that is a really cool design. Well executed looks great!! Can I ask when or how did you laminate the bottoms of the legs? After they were glued into the top already? Again very nice!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.