Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three-sided stools

Blog Entries
    Derek I'm super impressed with your stools and may have to copy them! This shape/form is elegant and beautifully proportioned.. I also love the practicality of the varied stretcher heights!

As always I appreciate you sharing your super constructive build pics and comments. Well done!

Of all the hand tools used in shaping the seats (spoke shaves, tavishers, etc.), which two do you think are most essential? Seems like this chair building adventure might be an excuse to get some more tools

Cheers, Mike
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 04-26-2021 at 4:37 PM.

Mike, you should go for it. Chair building might be just what the Dr. ordered for you. First you may want to build some tools: Reamer, travisher, shave horse. Then some stools. You might even want to rive parts. A froe, hewing axe, a scorp, adze. Draw knives and spoke shaves. Maybe a treadle lathe or a spring pole lathe? Or one of those tailed lathes. Not sure how many new tools you would need to add to your kit, but chair making offers lots of excuses, I mean, rationale for some specialized tools.

Great job on your stools Derek. Another inspiring build.

Another beautiful project Derek. Your photography is as good as your woodworking, too. I'm doubly humbled.

John