Thread: First time for everything

First time for everything

A pro arborist friend called me last week and asked if I wanted some fir logs. I decided to accept his offer as much to keep the relationship active as any real need for the wood. He even brought them to me in his dump truck.

Of course all but the butt log had lots of limbs. The ends of the logs were really white, which was surprising to me for some reason. When I milled them I was really surprised and impressed with how nice the wood looked. The butt log, on the mill in the photo below, was mostly clear and the others looked really nice, even with the knots. It reminded me of IKEA cabinets which, come to think of it, often are made with fir or some similar wood.

The rack of wood on the right is the fir. I milled the 4x4's for the base from one logs and all the rest at 6/4. The smell of the fresh sawdust was really pleasant, too, especially compared to the English walnut I milled earlier this Summer. That stuff smells like 20 wet horses in a barn too small to hold them. Surprising to me, the sapwood weighed what felt like 2X what the heartwood did.

John

Nice! Brings back memories, I built one of those Bandmills but never had time to find any good wood so I sold it when I moved.

John, you're going to keep showing these milling jobs until I just gotta have one!
    Sure looks like a nice stack of material.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    John, you're going to keep showing these milling jobs until I just gotta have one!
    Sure looks like a nice stack of material.
    Be careful, Fred, it's a slippery slope; once you get one you spend more time milling wood than building furniture. But I'm having a lot of fun and the wood sales and customer log milling fees slowly are paying for the mill. When I get too old to do it or it's no longer fun I'll sell the mill and have plenty of wood to use as long as I'm able to push wood over my machines. An added bonus is all the nice people I've met doing this.

John