Thread: Looking Out My Back Door

Blog Entries

Looking Out My Back Door

Saw the doe we call Blondie because of the cape on her neck. From the back porch another deer was hanging close by and it wasn't her fawn:

Looking Out My Backdoor 11:7:20.jpg

From his markings it looks like he could be Blondie's brother. Many deer around here have had dual births over the years.

Four Point Buck 11:7:20.jpg

He is a good looking fellow.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Candy just woke from her nap and looking at the pictures she says this buck is only a two pointer. My understanding is the individual points are what are counted. She says you only count the points on one side.

Can anyone explain how this is one way or the other?

What if it has three on one side and two on the other?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

We have a couple of deer that hang around our house. A few years ago the mother was hit by a car and left the 2 fawns behind. They have grown and now there is a buck that has joined the group. I'm like you, I count all the points, which I think is accurate for deer. I think elk you only count 1 side, but not 100% sure.

If it was a whitetail deer we'd call it a fork horn. Being what looks like a mule deer it could be a 2x2, two points on each side, or four pointer. If it had two on one side and three on the other it would be a 2x3.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    Those are nice deep photos. For whitetail deer you count the total number of points over an inch in length , so yours would be a four point. For Mule Deer they count the points on each side and call it a ? x ?.

Here are two of the whitetail bucks hanging out behind my house.
    STC_0030.jpgSTC_0041.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Jim,
    I think how the points are called out depends on where your from. Here in the Pacific NW we would call it a fork'ed horn if it only has a fork aka 2 points on each side. Spike for a 1 point, 4x3 if it has 4 on one 3 on the other etc, or 4 point for four on both. I believe guys from back East count off all the points and where we would say 3x3 they'd say 6 point.

In Mitchigan we count anything over 1". If you see 4 on one side, it's an 8 pointer until proven otherwise.

I like the view from your back door.

Some SC deer in side yard. We don’t even feed them.
    Attached Images Attached Images